FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Suggestions
   Software Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   Packaging
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Packaging  (Read 632 times)
Martin

122417302122417302martingomez_listsmg1ph WWW Email
Packaging
« on: Aug 3rd, 2002, 6:58am »

Wouldn't it be great if there were also versions without the fonts nor the JRE so as to reduce the file size? : ) Quite a pain to download 12MB on a dial-up. Hehe. Also for portability. : )

Cheers!

fry

Re: Packaging
« Reply #1 on: Aug 4th, 2002, 1:07am »

the jre is included because we wanted to be sure that folks were running the vm that we had tested with.. however you're correct in that it must be a headache over a dialup line.  

perhaps both options could be provided as you mention..  

are others having trouble with this? or have any clever ideas about how to resolve it? it's a tradeoff between keeping the distribution/installation simple versus the enormous file size.
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2002, 1:07am by fry »  
Martin

122417302122417302martingomez_listsmg1ph WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: Aug 4th, 2002, 7:29am »

i guess one way to resolve it is to make an installer. ... something like what internet explorer / quicktime does... it only downloads selected components. : )

adrien

« Reply #3 on: Aug 5th, 2002, 12:05pm »

on Aug 4th, 2002, 1:07am, fry wrote:
... it's a tradeoff between keeping the distribution/installation simple versus the enormous file size.

I think it depends on the target user. If P5 aims to be a DBN type environment for learning / teaching programming in a fun way, then it needs to be a no brainer to run... (download, unstuff, run. no installer, no configuration, no package dependencies, etc).

then again, i'm a snotty DSL user who DL's a few gig's a month, so...

Signature: Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post...
fry

« Reply #4 on: Aug 13th, 2002, 4:50pm »

exactly.. our primary target is the folks who need it to be simple to just download and run with no dependencies. the other folks are important too, but of course they can fend for themselves a bit.

much earlier versions of p5 actually had an updater, which allowed you to download a new pde.jar ala quicktime updater and others. this way it's at least just a one-time enormous download, later ones are simpler. i may bring this back as the environment may need lots of incremental upgrades as we head towards beta and final. or maybe we'll have to start distributing CDs for folks.

dnm

Email
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21st, 2002, 6:46am »

Do you have any instructions for the tech-savvy user who already has a JVM installed on how to strip down the current Proce55ing bundle to a more barebones setup?
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:02am by dnm »  
fry

« Reply #6 on: Nov 21st, 2002, 7:39am »

i assume you're talking about the windows release?

check the run.bat file.. remove the '.\java\bin\' in front of java.. also make sure 'java' is in your path, and that it's a version > 1.3, preferably 1.4 if you want the wheel mouse to work.  

the run.bat should be enough info on what's needed to get it running for a tech-savvy person..  

we can't offer much support if it doesn't work though..  

good luck!

dnm

Email
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:05am »

on Nov 21st, 2002, 7:39am, fry wrote:
i assume you're talking about the windows release

check the run.bat file.. remove the '.\java\bin\' in front of java.. also make sure 'java' is in your path, and that it's a version > 1.3, preferably 1.4 if you want the wheel mouse to work.  

the run.bat should be enough info on what's needed to get it running for a tech-savvy person..  

we can't offer much support if it doesn't work though..  

good luck!

Yep, the Windows release.

The run.bat file was an obvious place I should have looked at. Sorry, that was silly of me. I started out poking around in the lib directory before thinking.

Out of curiosity, what does the Proce55ing.exe do, besides (seemingly) run run.bat (and provide an icon)

fry

« Reply #8 on: Nov 22nd, 2002, 6:57pm »

on Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:05am, dnm wrote:
Out of curiosity, what does the Proce55ing.exe do, besides (seemingly) run run.bat (and provide an icon)

actually, the run.bat isn't even used. the .exe just sets that PATH, and launches java from the jre that's included in the p5 directory. the run.bat doesn't work on 95/98/M.E. systems unless you're already on the command prompt, and doesn't work on networked drives at all, so the .exe is better.  

the .exe will also eventually have a splash screen (macos9 is the only one that has it currently) so you have something pretty to look at while the java runtime is lumbering into memory.

in a more perfect world (let's called it "1.0"), we give p5 a real installer and folks can choose whether or not to install a java runtime, etc.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2002, 6:58pm by fry »  
Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »