FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Suggestions
   Software Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   XML socket & XML data handling support
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: XML socket & XML data handling support  (Read 506 times)
pete@a-dsr.net

Email
XML socket & XML data handling support
« on: Aug 17th, 2002, 2:17pm »

I may be too fast in concluding this, but is it true that there's no way of getting real-time data from the server into an app created with proce55ing?

If this is the case, then XML support would be a nice option for the software to have.

Maybe it would be possible to create a java wrapper app to hold the proce55ing-made app and have the wrapper understand XML.

I'll look into this and post some more findings later on.

p.s.: go proce55ing go!
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2002, 2:19pm by pete@a-dsr.net »  
Mike Davis

Re: XML socket & XML data handling support
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18th, 2002, 8:00am »

You can use whatever XML support the Java language provides; Java code can be mixed in with Proce55ing code.  According to the current docs, this will be documented more in a future release.

pete@a-dsr.net

Email
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18th, 2002, 2:54pm »

So it's possible to script some surrounding java code and, at the same time, help the developers of proce55ing develop their software? By adding a piece of java?

Thanks for the comment!

fry

« Reply #3 on: Sep 1st, 2002, 10:32pm »

true, p5 is just using java underneath, the main sticking points would be that we don't import the xml classes, so in the current version, you'd have to spell out the package names fully.. not a great solution.  

now that i'm thinking about it, i believe that the sun xml classes aren't in 1.3, and that you'd have to be using 1.4 or external classes, for which we have no current method for dealing with (although it's possible with a bit of hacking..)

it's also possible to use 'java' mode in the current version (43), but it's buggy and you won't see changes to your code as you hit 'run' because of java classloader issues.

fry

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21st, 2002, 2:22am »

revision 46 now imports sun's xml packages so you can use xml at least inside the environment (though not while exporting to applet). enjoy..

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »