FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Beyond Categories
(Moderator: REAS)
   JDK 1.5-beta2 includes OpenGL [...]
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: JDK 1.5-beta2 includes OpenGL [...]  (Read 1764 times)
v3ga

WWW Email
JDK 1.5-beta2 includes OpenGL [...]
« on: May 30th, 2004, 9:54pm »

JDK 1.5-beta2 includes OpenGL-accelerated Java 2D Pipeline on Linux, Solaris and Win32
Quote:

Sun Microsystems has released JDK 1.5-beta2 (codenamed "Tiger"). This release includes an OpenGL-accelerated pipeline for the Java 2D API. The pipeline was only available on Linux and Solaris for the 1.5-beta release, but is now also available on Windows as of the 1.5-beta2 release. The OpenGL-based pipeline accelerates many simple primitives such as fills, draws, and text. However, the real benefits are seen for complex operations like compositing, shape clips, image transforms (both nearest neighbor and bilinear), GradientPaint, TexturePaint, antialiased shapes, etc. Please download this latest release and send Sun your feedback so they can make JDK 1.5 as stable as possible! Now imagine an OpenGL-accelerated Swing GUI!  

from www.opengl.org

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/2d/new_features.html#ogl

Sounds really promising .

http://v3ga.net
Robin

Re: JDK 1.5-beta2 includes OpenGL [...]
« Reply #1 on: Sep 7th, 2004, 9:38pm »

Pardon my ignorance -- but is it (currently) possible for users of processing to easily take advantage of this new OpenGL-accelerated pipeline in 1.5?

It's my impression that taking advantage of hardware acceleration/OpenGL is not something the beginning programmer can easily do. (myself )

I had a half hearted browse around some of the Java forums and it appears some people have been getting unprecedented performance boosts by enabling OpenGL by inserting:

System.setProperty("sun.java2d.opengl","True");

However, i'm really not familiar with Java (outside of processing) so this is all over my head.  

Any insights greatly appreciated

- Rob

fry

Re: JDK 1.5-beta2 includes OpenGL [...]
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22nd, 2004, 5:26pm »

since processing uses its own completely java-based rendering engine, you'll get only minimal (if any) boost from the opengl stuff.

we're working on a way to use jogl, which is opengl tied to java, as an alternative renderer for processing apps, when it's available (i.e. running locally, not in a browser, that sort of thing).

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »