FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Beyond Categories
(Moderator: REAS)
   automato
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: automato  (Read 1367 times)
Martin

122417302122417302martingomez_listsmg1ph WWW Email
automato
« on: Sep 22nd, 2004, 4:17pm »

hmmm...
http://www.padpaper.net/automato/

been too busy lately.

arielm

Re: automato
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22nd, 2004, 10:57pm »

poor usability or part of the concept?

played a bit (without reading all of the numerous information, btw written very small) and pressed on the "auto" button: then the control of the mouse was totally taken by the applet: panic for half a minute until i found the right keyboard-only solution to kill explorer...

i think i'll avoid trusting "signed" applets by martin gomez, at least for the last couple of months

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
rgovostes

rgovostes
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23rd, 2004, 2:37am »

Heh, the point of the applet is showing what happens when the computer takes control, unless I'm mistaken:

Quote:
- Can a computer paint?
- What if the computer takes control?
- What if the computer overrides / takes control away
from the user?
- What if the computer overrides the user's creative act?
- Can the computer in-turn create art? By itself?
- More importantly, if these systems are "intelligent" enough, can they advance the human condition?
- How can generative systems be coupled with distributed media such as web-based infrastructures?
- Can we integrate generative systems and web-services?  
- In the most basic sense, what barebones interface would be best to present this?

I think it's a pretty spiffy idea, though not a very practical one (yet?) Got it working when I upgraded to the latest JRE... By the way 's' starts/stops auto mode...
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2004, 2:50am by rgovostes »  
skloopy

« Reply #3 on: Sep 23rd, 2004, 8:11pm »

I don't think it works on my OS X comp. I can see the interface, but nothing happens when I press any of the keys or try to draw in the applet.. I have the latest java installed.

arielm

« Reply #4 on: Sep 23rd, 2004, 9:02pm »

yeah, just over reacted a bit because i was with eclipse opened in the middle of developing a bunch of java classes when i jumped to martin's applet.

so when the mouse-control was taken over by the applet (of course, at that time i was not aware of the 's' key), you can imagine my reaction.

i think it's a matter of basic usability, probably solvable by not counting on the fact that people will read all the instructions with a magnifying glass before starting to play with an interactive piece, especially when the use of the piece is potentially harmfull...

bah... best to you all and i hope it won't sound like jakob-nielsenism

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »