FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Beyond Categories
(Moderator: REAS)
   Mobile Phones
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Mobile Phones  (Read 2782 times)
xoff

Email
Mobile Phones
« on: May 4th, 2004, 2:05pm »

I just bought a new mobile SonyEricsson T610, and ia was wondering if it was possible to run some of my proce55ing sketches on it? How do i do it?

Can someone give me information on the subject?

Thanx

||||||||||||||||||||||||| 25% lodead
arielm

Re: Mobile Phones
« Reply #1 on: May 4th, 2004, 6:38pm »

a "special" version of processing could be ported (in the future) to j2me compliant mobile phones, but it won't probably be on models like the T610 (MIDP 1, i.e. highly under featured in term of programming potential!)

the possible candidates are likely to be MIDP2 (vital enhancements, e.g. access to pixels) models, with faster processors, bigger displays and even JSR184 (accelerated 3d standard), like the new Sony-Ericsson generation (P900, K700, Z1010...)

finally, pointing-device enabled models (very rare for now) would be a must, otherwise ui matters could turn to be a real pain.

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
Hannes

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 11:12pm »

Somewhere in this forum I read about just putting a jar (including some META-INF) on a MIDP2-compatible Phone (I own the K700i). (... but i cannot find it again ...)

OK I just tried to upload a small test app, but my Phone didn't want it

Is it possible to make things working e.g. with a different manifest.mf-file or with some extra code inside zhe applet

thank for your help!
hannes

Everything is possible ... just try it!
bsr

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28th, 2004, 12:50pm »

here's the other thread, to keep things tidy: http://processing.org/discourse/yabb/board_general_action_displ_ay_num_1068368581.html

http://hippocamp.net
arielm

« Reply #4 on: Jul 28th, 2004, 2:15pm »

a mobile phone like the k700 has indeed a java virtual machine, but the environment (i.e. the standard libraries) are not the same at all: processing is built on j2se (java for desktop computers) while mobile phones are based on j2me (which is offering a totally different application-programming metaphor...)

so even if the k700 is accepting .jar files, it expects the code inside to be j2me compliant!

now a propos which mobile platform is suited to handle variations of processing in the future:

the k700 is a good candidate, since it has a relatively fast jvm and most importantly it's CLDC 1.1 compliant (i.e it handles floating point numbers)

one of the problem with the current NOKIA series 60 phones like 6600 is that they do not handle floating point numbers: so, it will be possible to code an underlying graphics engine but users will have hard time to make sketches...

good news anyway: the forthcoming series 60 #2 generation like 6630 & 7610 are handling floating point...

fry

« Reply #5 on: Jul 28th, 2004, 5:34pm »

i think to get things running on a mobile phone, we'd need to change the way that the graphics engine is done. the engine is currently a full zbuffer rendering engine, where the performance tradeoff makes sense for when you have a decent amount of ram and speed to blit/flush the whole screen.  

for a more limited device, such as a mobile phone, one might get rid of zbuffer altogether and just do 2D, or if it's not very polygon heavy switch to triangle sorting or hidden line removal--basically just look at what comp graphics was using 10-20 years ago, when machines were more limited.  

at the minimum, we'd prolly need to have a way to update only portions of the screen. also, i think most of the mobile phones don't support MemoryImageSource (a big buffer of pixels) based images, thoguh i understand that more are doign that.

even a switch from floating point to fixed point math in the engine doesn't provide enough oommf.. it's a little better, but doesn't get over the more major things.

arielm

« Reply #6 on: Jul 28th, 2004, 7:34pm »

actually, the new mobile generation (e.g. sony ericsson k700 or nokia 6630) have these interesting features that could be relevant:

1- floating point support

2- a mechanism similar to MemoryImageSource to blit pixels

3- a "native" 3d engine (aka JSR-184) which is built on openGL "es" + an additional layer for scene-graph and stuff...

sounds better now, no?

still, processing power is very low (hundred times slower) compared to modern pc's, but since screen-sizes are around 176x200, it's possible to get some viable results (i'm saying this in confidence after hacking several devices for months...)

all in all, the "issue" with mobiles may be on another field: input is very limited and screens are tiny, so it implies to make a real metaphorical jump when creating applications/sketches.

Martin

122417302122417302martingomez_listsmg1ph WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12th, 2004, 8:24am »

francis li had translated to p5 api's to run on a mobile phone. however, this was just a simple translation so the rendering's pretty choppy as there was intensive calculation. if someone could find the time to do the math for this, then it would be swell
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2004, 8:25am by Martin »  
Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »