FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Simulation, Artificial Life
(Moderator: REAS)
   Learning design?
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Learning design?  (Read 514 times)
Jojodi

Learning design?
« on: Apr 13th, 2004, 10:37pm »

Is it possible to create a structure of simple alife's that can work to try to achieve a common goal?

Example: A simulation in which single-pixel "people" try to get on top of a box. Satisfying results would include them piling on top of each other in order to get there...  

can soomeone help me postulate on what would be required to get this done? the biggest problem i can see is that they need to be able to convey conditions... or do they?

^_^
Jojodi

Markavian

Markavian+iTX WWW
Re: Learning design?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14th, 2004, 11:53pm »

Well, yes I'm sure its possible. You need to set some ground rules and basic logic for them.

The end goal would be having a 'pixel person' ontop of the box.

What you have to work out as a programmer is, how do you get the pixel people up there?

Is there a limit of pixel people?
What ground rules are there?

e.g. possible rules :
- Each pixel person will take up 1 block of space.
- Each pixel person can climb and sit ontop of another pixel that is a maximum 1 block higher then themselves.
- Each pixel can walk freely in any direction, subject to gravity.

(The obvious implementation of this is using pixels, so one block, is 1px. Then say, any 'White' pixel is considered empty space.)

Then you start setting targets.
e.g. 'Mission Complete' when a pixel person is standing ontop of a 'green pixel'
(say high in the sky).

Then, you need to write some alogirthms to make your pixel people move and interact with each other... thats where the clever thinking comes into play, but you need the ground rules first.

Why don't we agree on the ground rules, then set it to ourselves to program the people to complete the task?

Markavian

Markavian+iTX WWW
Re: Learning design?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14th, 2004, 11:57pm »

Thinking about it, using those 'rules', about climing ontop of each other, the only way the people would be able to reach the 'target' would be by creating a 'half pyramid' and running up the side of the structure.

If you can design a 'model' to do this, on any 'terrain' though, it makes a good base for other sets of rules, such as the pixel people making 'bridges' in the sky, but the rules for that would have to be carefully laid out, other wise you just end up drawing lines all over the place.

I think I'll have a go at programming this now.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »