FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   Community, Collaboration, Status
(Moderator: REAS)
   Wiki + Mailing List
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Wiki + Mailing List  (Read 992 times)
Martin

122417302122417302martingomez_listsmg1ph WWW Email
Wiki + Mailing List
« on: Sep 12th, 2004, 8:36am »

hi all,

i've asked casey if it would be possible to create a wiki for processing. i planned to fire this up but more and more, i'm getting swamped even more.

i feel that the wiki could get things up and running for http://processing.org/learning/tutorials/index.html

if someone could set up a wiki somewhere, then that would be great!

on another note, a personal observation is that a number of people don't have the time to check this board regularly. it might be a good idea to create a p5 mailing list. easier to reply to emails. what do you guys think?

best,
martin

arielm

Re: Wiki + Mailing List
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12th, 2004, 9:04am »

on Sep 12th, 2004, 8:36am, Martin wrote:
on another note, a personal observation is that a number of people don't have the time to check this board regularly. it might be a good idea to create a p5 mailing list. easier to reply to emails. what do you guys think

don't like much mailing lists, i think they're an awfull regression compared to a modern web-based board with the correct arsenal of add-ons.

and in addition of providing real-time/direct communication means, the current p5 forum has more functions: it serves as the project's memory and it's the core of the community.

it would be hard to achieve that with a mailing list, unless you have both a forum and a mailing list but then, you're adding some terrible noise in the system.

i guess the solution would be to invest some time and energy in picking/implementing the right board addons, e.g. "automatic email notification", etc.

a place to start with (unfortunately i don't have time these days to dig further):

http://www.boardmod.org/mods.php

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
Martin

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12th, 2004, 1:19pm »

thanks for your wisdom ariel. well, now that i think about it, it seems that the only drawback to having a mailing list instead of a board is spam control. oh well.

TomC

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12th, 2004, 7:44pm »

Here's a handy hint for following the forum.  You can check recent (last 10) items using this URL: http://processing.org/discourse/yabb/action_recent.html

I check every couple of days or so and I rarely miss a post using this method.  (OK, I might check a little more than that if I'm working on a Processing project and I have it on my mind!)

If anyone is familiar with screen-scrapers and RSS, I would *love* an RSS feed of that page, by the way.  Or if someone could add a YaBB RSS mod, that would be fab.

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2004, 7:45pm by TomC »  
Martin

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 3:26pm »

fantastic info tom! fantastic!

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »