Console does not Scroll, display very few lines

edited June 2017 in Using Processing

On a Mac, OS 10.12.5, Processing 3.3.4, Java 8 update 131 (build 1.8.0_131-b11)

My console does not have any scroll bar and only displays very few lines. that's what it looks like:

I only see the end of the list of my fonts and my 4 serials - I have no way to see the first 900+ fonts...

This is the code I was Running

import processing.serial.*;

void setup() {
  size(400, 300);
  printArray(PFont.list());
  printArray(Serial.list());
}

void draw() {
  background(0);
}

I checked the preference file, seems that the number of lines I can see depends on the console.font.size=12 font size. the smaller the more lines I see, but no way to fill up all the space nor scroll.

Any idea how I address this?

Tagged:

Answers

• Answer ✓

Is there no way of doing it with mouse / trackpad? Two fingers? Pg up?

There is a file that contains the current console text, but i don't know where it's kept on a Mac.

This isn't the first time someone's complained at v3.3.4. try an earlier version?

• edited June 2017

thanks for the answer - nope - I tried gestures, a different mouse with scroll wheel etc...

weird. will go down 1 or 2 versions and try again

EDIT

works fine with version 3.3

• edited June 2017

Coincidentally, I'm still on PDE version 3.3. :-?
    Until an actual stable comes out, gonna stick w/ it. =P~

• looks like it's a good idea :)

• Recent open issue -- looks like this is a known regression in 3.3.4:

https://github.com/processing/processing/issues/5110

• thanks indeed it is

• you can always write a long array into a file using saveStrings()

In fact I think processing crashes sometimes when you use println() really often

• @Chrisir -- ironically, the regression was introduced by adding a fix for the problem that too much println can freeze Processing: https://github.com/processing/processing/issues/4825

...hopefully after the console scrollbar is restored the println-crashing will still remain fixed.

• Anyway, it's a big problem for me. I get a non blocking error which generates a long log. I'd like to see what's goin' on but unfortunately I can read only last two lines. Will I ever be able to know which error is it?...

Schermata 2017-06-09 alle 13.20.52

• Comment out all println in your sketch

Apart from scrolling: did you try click in the console window hit ctrl-a and ctrl-c and paste in an editor?

• Oh my! I am having this problem. Going to go back to old version then.

• did you try click in the console window hit ctrl-a and ctrl-c and paste in an editor?