Brackets (Live Preview) won't display in Chrome

edited February 2017 in p5.js

"Brackets currently only supports UTF-8 encoded text files" is the error message I have received when I attempted to open Brackets in Chrome within the Programs file since nothing else worked. How do I resolve this issue? Thanks in advance!

By the way, I went to Chrome> Settings> Show Advanced Settings> Web Content> Customize Font> There were NO Western Windows 1252 or Unicode (UTF-8) any where on the lists. Windows or Unicode of any number was not listed.

Answers

• ... is the error message I have received when I attempted to open Brackets in Chrome within the Programs file...

I'm also confused: Brackets is an IDE app, while Chrome is a browser app.
    So I don't get it when you say you open Brackets in Chrome, given they're completely diff. apps! :-/

• I am new to this. I just started this last night with Daniel Shiffman. He is programming in a software called Brackets, and we have to preview our work in Chrome, but Chrome is not allowing me to see my results. Brackets uses UTF-8 and my Chrome does not support that, so I am unable to see my work in Brackets. This is the video I am watching to learn how to use Brackets.

• edited February 2017

This is the video I am watching to learn how to use Brackets.

I've already watched that video when I recently tried to help another guy w/ another issue:
    https://forum.processing.org/two/discussion/20819/getting-started-with-p5-js-using-brackets-having-problems

He is programming in a software called Brackets, ...

That's not necessarily true! He uses/used many diff. IDE apps.
    And he's also made many tutorials for other IDEs already.

On that YouTube video link you've posted above, at its video's footer, click at SHOW MORE.
    You're gonna see his other IDE tutorial links there. :bz

Actually, I'd recommend you to watch this IDE tutorial instead: ;;)

• edited February 2017

Brackets uses UTF-8 and my Chrome does not support that,

If Chrome or any other browser didn't support UTF-8, no 1 would ever use it. It'd be utterly useless! :-&

However, in order to activate UTF-8, we need to explicitly say so inside main's ".html" file.
    Simplest way to do that is to place <meta charset=utf8> at the top of it. :>

Here's an "index.html" minimum template I use a lot for p5.js sketches.
    Assuming the main sketch is called "sketch.js", of course: :bz

"index.html":

<meta charset=UTF-8>
    <script src=https://CDN.JSDelivr.net/g/p5.js(p5.min.js+addons/p5.dom.js)></script>
    <script src=sketch.js></script>

B/c it grabs both "p5.min.js" & "p5.dom.js" remotely, it is a sure way to run any p5.js sketch w/o having those files w/ us locally. \m/

• I will send you the photographs, so you can understand better what my situation is with Chrome and Brackets. I am trying to do all the videos in the Fundamentals of Programming in JavaScript in P5.js. See below.

Chrome Chrome2

• edited February 2017

Are you actually attempting to open a whole ".exe" app inside another app?! @-)
    ".exe" files are supposed to be double-clicked in order to run them as an app.
    They're not supposed to be opened as some regular file! [-X

Well, unless you intend to see the actual content of ".exe" files.
    In that case, an extractor or hex-viewer app would do it. :P

• Oopsy! 8-} I am new at this and trying to find solutions to my problems! :-O I am just trying to figure out why my file won't open. I typed everything like Daniel did, but it won't open up. See my codes are accurate, so why is my browser not showing my work? X_X Bracket Bracket2

• edited February 2017
    • Gonna repeat my advise: Use my minimum template "index.html" file.
    • Rename your ".js" as "sketch.js".
    • That should be enough to run a p5.js sketch when you click at Bracket's "thunderbolt" button.
    • Or try out other IDEs as well. *-:)
  • Hey GoToLoop, thank you for helping me.:D I saw that Daniel did the same thing as you have told me. And it did work! I am surprised it is that simple. 8-} I am looking forward to experiencing all the IDEs that he introduces me to in his videos.

• Another question, if we name them all sketch.js, how do we tell the difference which project it is with them having all the same name? Hahaha 8-}

• edited February 2017

Having the main ".js" file named as "sketch.js" is merely a p5.js convention.
    But obviously, the name of the folders should reflect what each "sketch.js" is about. :>
    In other words: The name of each folder, not the ".js" file, is the project's title! $-)