Processing3 running really slow on RPI3

edited January 2017 in Raspberry PI

Im not sure what I could expect performance wise from Processing3 so I just want to throw this out there.

I have a really simply app running on a RPI3 it displays a (750kb .png) at full screen(1920x1080) and occasionally draws some ellipses on top of it.

It runs at about 6 fps - is this normal , or am I doing something incorrectly?

Thanks

Answers

• Are you loading the image inside draw()?

Could be any number of things, including a low powered device.

• edited January 2017

Hi Koogs

Thanks for the interest, i've attached the code below. (i'm not sure how to format it in the forum post).

//IMAGES
    PImage img;

void setup() {
      fullScreen();
      img = loadImage("Background.png");  // .jpg image 750kb 1920x1280(size)
      img.resize(width, 0);

// FONT
      font = createFont("Jaden.ttf", 55);
      smallFont = createFont("Jaden.ttf", 32); 
    }

void draw() {
      image(img, 0, 0);   
    }

• that looks ok, but it doesn't do what your description said it does (no ellipses)

your filename says png, your comment says jpg... font and smallFont aren't defined (or used)

• This is something on my radar... for some reasons, framerates really suffer when outputting to a high resolution monitor, whereas things are fine on lower resolutions.

@usernamevalid One thing you could try is to install the compton compositor, which might help, although I haven't tried so myself.

• @koogs I dont have the code on me right now so this was the basic outline of what was happening. Ill post the exact code later this evening. Even so i get really slow frame rates just displaying the image at high resolutions. Do not experience this?

@gohai thanks ill look into this. So you experience the same thing? slow FPS when display full screen on rpi (1920x1080)

thanks