How can I use a 'pure' Java library in Processing?

Hi all, I am a newbie in Processing and I am trying to make use of this excellent Java library: http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/de.lmu.ifi.dbs.jfeaturelib/JFeatureLib/1.6.1

This provides implementations for several kinds of image features.

I was wondering if it is possible to use of such 'pure' java library with processing? Can someone please explain the process , such as where to place it and how to import it, since I have been trying for so long but without success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• Quick solution, OK if you use the library in only one sketch: just drop the jar file on the PDE. It will be added in a folder named code in your sketch folder.

• Thanks PhiLho for your super quick replay :) One more question: what are the advantages of using Processing in Eclipse through Proclipsing? In other words what is the purpose of creating a Processing project in eclipse?

Thanks again Henry

• what are the advantages of using Processing in Eclipse through Proclipsing? In other words what is the purpose of creating a Processing project in eclipse?

Eclipse is used for "pure Java" development. So if you have a "pure Java" application that uses Processing as a library, then you're much better off using eclipse.

Eclipse also has more options that most Processing developers don't need, but which come in handy when you have to do more advanced stuff.

If all you're doing is calling some Java code from Processing, then sticking with the Processing editor is probably the way to go. But if you're trying to do anything more advanced with mixing Java and Processing, then eclipse (or another IDE) will probably be more useful.

• Thanks Kevin for the excellent reply. I will stick to processing and used some external java libraries. Thanks again :)

• These off-thread "Best answers" are confusing...