naming things (here we go again) - contour edition

edited December 2014 in General Discussion

Once again I have problem naming things or how it should behave.

Let's say we have this square:

Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 1.22.32 PM

And we have this one:

Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 1.22.46 PM

And we have this shape:

Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 1.22.54 PM

The last one is not a contour, since it's open right? Or is it called an open contour? I can find things on the internet about open contours but not a lot so those people might be wrong. I think strictly speaking a contour has to be closed, else it's not a contour of something. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Anyway. I'm creating methods like:

svgMethods.getVertices(s, i);

Where s is the PShape and i is the targetContour. However, that would mean we should not return anything for the last picture since that's not a contour. Or should I just consider it all to be a contour?

Or is there a name for what I want? I hope you guys can follow me :D

Answers

• No :) I should be more clear. It can be whatever SVG or shape created with createShape(). So also a bezier path etc.

• I rarely, if ever, saw the name "contour" used for shapes. Indeed, it might be clearer to call them open or closed paths.

• edited December 2014

I do nc programming and in my little world we refer to them as open and closed "Boundaries". That is the term used in NX. I've also seen the name "Feature" used in Esprit, both open and closed there, as well. "Silhouette" or "Profile" is also an option.

• PhiLho had it right 'open and closed paths'