Issue using Blepdroid (BluetoothLibrary) with Processing 3.3.7 and 3.4 earlier version 3.2.3 works

edited August 2018 in Android Mode

This question is regarding a fatal exception error message that occurs when using Blepdroid (a Bluetooth low energy library) with later versions of Processing 3. The error has been partially addressed in an earlier question from other users experiencing the same problem. The previous answer while very useful does not solve the fundamental issue which my tests suggest may be a bug or unlisted change in Processing. I would value an opinion on the source of the problem before submitting it as a bug to the Processing developers. The error message is listed below.

FATAL EXCEPTION: Animation Thread Process: processing.test.test2, PID: 17735 java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: No virtual method getFragmentManager()Landroid/app/FragmentManager; in class Lprocessing/core/PApplet; or its super classes (declaration of 'processing.core.PApplet' appears in /data/app/processing.test.test2-1/base.apk) at blepdroid.Blepdroid.(Blepdroid.java:293) at processing.test.test2.Test2.setup(Test2.java:88) at processing.core.PApplet.handleDraw(PApplet.java:1801) at processing.core.PSurfaceNone.callDraw(PSurfaceNone.java:471) at processing.core.PSurfaceNone$AnimationThread.run(PSurfaceNone.java:503)

I've written many programs using Blepdroid and Processing version 3.2.3. These have worked perfectly for the last year, successfully accessing Blepdroid and presumably the fragment manager method that Blepdroid calls. However, with Processing version 3.3.7 and 3.4 my same programs plus Blepdroid still build successfully but when run they give the fatal exception error message shown above:

My programs also continue to run properly with newly installed versions of the SDK for 3.2.3 provided I include my old Processing folder with its SDK folder. If I don't include the folder I get a message saying that Android no longer supports this version of Processing.

Blepdroid hasn’t changed in the last year and I have been using the same copy of Bepdroid in that time. If Blepdroid has successfully called for FragmentManager in earlier versions then it must have been available in earlier versions. However, I couldn't find anything in the changes notes for Processing 3 that says access to the FragmentManager method has been changed?

Before I raise this as a possible Bug in Processing can anyone suggest whether the problem is more likely to be with Processing or alternatively that the problem is the need for an update in Blepdroid to match changes in Processing?

Thanks for any advice, Peter

Answers