How to have a processingJS or P5 sketch receive sms

I'd like to be able to send a text to my sketch and then read that information. I have a set of Hue lightbulbs and I'm thinking if I text "RED" or something, the sketch will change the bulb color via Hue's api.

Thanks

Tagged:

Answers

• Some possibilities:

• If you are on JavaScript and your sketch has Internet access, you can search for "sms api" online. Basically you create an account with some provider that lets you send and receive sms from JavaScript.
    • You could use an Arduino or Raspberry Pi with a mobile shield containing a sim card. Then you communicate your Processing sketch with one of those mini computers to send and receive sms.
    • You connect a mobile phone with USB or WIFI to the computer running your sketch. You should then write (or find) a program (Android or iOS) that can read sms and forward them to the computer via USB or WIFI.

I might be wrong but I suspect this library no longer works: https://hamzeen.github.io/smsP5/

• Nice, thanks for the response. I'm going to give the the first option a shot and see how far I get with it.