getting "Parse Error: there was a problem parsing the package" trying to install.

edited October 2017 in Android Mode

Processing version 3.3.6

Android mode 4.0

android version on phone: 6.0

everything I changed on the manifest:

android:versionCode="1" android:versionName="1.0" package="Introscopia.testotesto123minus4haha">
    <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="17" android:targetSdkVersion="23"/>
    <application android:icon="@drawable/icon" android:label="testotesto123minus4haha">
        <activity android:name=".balls" 

I have the icon files in the folder, I try to export a signed package, it gives me BUILD SUCCESSFUL.

click the .apk on the phone, it gives me "Parse Error: there was a problem parsing the package"

Answers

• @Introscopia===

you have not to add your package name because P5 adds it automatically as it adds the app name; then you cannot change the name for the activity (launcher) created by P5 as you are in a fragment.

• @akenaton thanks for the response. It seems I do have to add a package name, it doesn't let me export it with the default (empty) name. As for the activity title, I removed it and still get the same error.

• @Introscopia===

can you put here your complete manifest, as it is now???

• @akenaton

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android" android:versionCode="1" android:versionName="1.0" package="thehotnewtest">
        <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="17" android:targetSdkVersion="26"/>
        <application android:icon="@drawable/icon" android:label="">
            <activity android:name=".MainActivity" android:theme="@style/Theme.AppCompat.Light.NoActionBar.FullScreen">
                <intent-filter>
                    <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN"/>
                    <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER"/>
                </intent-filter>
            </activity>
        </application>
    </manifest>

• @Introscopia===

your manifest seems to be ok and if t compiles as you told your code is probably good. is your "old" version always on the phone???? - if yes, destroy it. what is the os version on the phone (it has to be >= 17). what is the final name of your .apk?

• @akenaton

I always delete the old files after copying over a new export.

OS is >= 17.

file names:

thehotnewtest_release_signed.apk

thehotnewtest_release_signed_aligned.apk

thehotnewtest_release_unsigned.apk

all of them throw the same parse error.

and thanks for still bearing with me here!

• @Introscopia===

excuse me, i am very busy these days; looking to your last post (and thinking that your manifest is ok) i see only one kind of error: naming; so, first question, when you saved your code (without exporting anything) what was the name???- At this moment have you sucessfully installed (debug mode) your app on the phone??? Any problem??? _ Other thing: are you absolutely sure that it does not remain nothing (on the phone of course!) of your "old files" (in this case it could be a problem of "version")??? - As soon as possible i will try by myself but now i cannot get time for that. Last question : have you before installed (sucessfully) some simple code in release mode??

• edited November 2017

I am having the exact same problem, and nothing I try works :((

• edited December 2017 Answer ✓

@Introscopia @akenaton @minimi22

Just been having the same problem.

The error message says package name must contain a "." separator so try package="the.hotnewtest"

Works for me ... :)

Mark

• edited December 2017

@hudson_m4000===

package name in android (an java) must be written in lower case and have a pattern like : com.mydevelopername.myappname. This is mandatory: so if in your Manifest you change the package name for something like: "myapp", when uploaded it fires the error described; that's why i have said in my post: there is probably a naming problem...

• @akenaton

yes I agree ... I was just pointing out the need for at least one "." in the package name