How can I use my iPhones accelerometer and gyro's data in processing.

edited January 2015 in How To...

Hello everybody! I am a beginner in coding.

I want to create a prototype for an iPhone, which uses its accelerometer and gyro data. To make it in xCode I need an Apple developer account. It costs money and I don't need it for now. Also processing is much simpler than Swift.

It seems that iOS Safari can get this data. https://www.webdigi.co.uk/blog/2012/using-an-ios-device-to-control-a-game-on-your-browser/

Do you think it is possible to make this data available for the processing code?

Answers

• Hello, Tofer

You can not run processing on an iPhone, although you can download xCode for free. If you make a app that transmits the gyro data over the network, you could have the processing app use the network library to receive it. I have no knowledge of iPhone apps, so you are on your own for creating that part.

Hope this helps, RywesTech

• RywesTech, But I did run processing apps on iPhone many times via wifi in Safari. Just because processing is much easier to code graphic things than in swift, I'm wondering if it is possible to use gyro data, that is available in Safari anyway.

• Hi Tofer,

Did you manage to get this working in the end? I'm looking to do the same for a college project I'm working on.

• Hi pagetmc! Nope, I didn't) It's just faster to learn Swift, cause it's really easy to do it in xCode.

Cheers!