crash on startup

edited October 2013 in Using Processing

Need help. Months ago, the program was working well but not today :S Any idea to solve this?

Link:

• Win xp 32bit sp3
  • Amd 3600 dual core
  • Nvidia
  • Java 7.25
  • Java SE Development Kit 7 update 25

Tnx!

Tagged:

Comments

• With similar cases, removing entirely the Processing folder in the user settings (the one where the preferences.txt file is) often solved the problem (you will loose some settings).

See also if you installed a library or a tool since the last time it worked.

• Do you get javaw.exe running as a system task after the crash? Does Processing open after a very long period of time?

I was getting a similar scenario when I was debugging some code in Processing on a Windows 7 Embedded machine.

I would download a fresh install and try that - if that doesn't work, then there is another problem.

Report back?

• Phil.ho: I deleted the folder and still does not work. I deleted the preferences file and no changes

Jays2009: When startup dissapears, dissapears javaw.exe. Debug mode isn´t works. I downloaded different versions and the same thing happens with all Eclipse works but is more complex. I think it may be java, but not sure.

• and there is no bug report, simply disappears

• I have same problem. Even worse, I'm teaching Processing at our school and for me this is MAJOR ISSUE. After last session, I literaly just closed Procesing and tried to turned it back on 5 minutes later to explain something... and nothing happened. I tried these solutions:

• delete preferences in documents
    • reinstall Java
    • uninstall Java and clean registry and install Java again
    • download new 2.1 release.
    • run last working 2.0.2 release
    • move Processing folder around

and I'm grabbing 1.5.1 release to test that as well. I'm running Win7 64x, Lenovo Z380 (Intel i5, 8gb ram, nVidia 680m).

• Ok, so 1.5.1 release is working but since I have not been able to find preferences.txt in documents folder, I investigated and Phil.ho is absolutely right.

The key is to delete preferences.txt (or maybe more, I deleted whole folder without blink of an eye :) ), and path to files is something along the way of this:

C:\Users\johnDoe\AppData\Roaming\Processing

uff, now I can go back to write some more example codes :)