use a processing sketch to serially load other processing sketches

edited October 2013 in How To...

Hey! I am helping to put together a small show of processing work. Is it possible to write a "meta" processing sketch that would load other processing sketches so we can show multiple sketches on one projector? I am trying to make a slideshow that sequentially loads the various programs -- like one an hour...

Probably the answer is "yes" but I don't have a good idea where to start with this. If you could point me in a direction and give me a shove...

Answers

• Answer ✓

This topic comes up regularly in the forums... But it isn't obvious to search for.

There are various ways, but one often recommended is to use a library called Mother, if I recall correctly.

I also did something like that: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~philho/+junk/Processing/files/head:/_SmallPrograms/DrawingInSequence/ but it needs the sketches to be put in a special class, and it supposes the setup is common to all sketches (might be hard to switch sizes and even more modes, 2D vs. 3D, etc.).

• Answer ✓

Hi, yes, indeed, Mother will do what you need!

The version up there is a very recent update and is P2.0 compatible, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have!

Do get in touch if it doesn't work for you or you have questions, better if you do so over email because in this new forum I haven't found the reply email notification button, my email is in the pdf which is part of the Mother download.

I've also made a version which is now stable, and sooon to be released, which also allows for Processing sketches to be effects, taking other sketches as inputs, like FreeFrameGL but easier and in Processing. It only works with P2.0.2 for the moment, but if that sounds appealing to you and you want to beta test get in touch :)

• edited October 2013

Thanks very much Onar and PhiLHo! I will check it out. Much Appreciate the offer of help. I'll let you know how it goes, and share any feedback. Thanks again.