Setting up the workflow for a text/video installation?

Hello,

I'm a visual artist and I never before worked with programming, if not indirectly delegating to others.

I'm currently working on a wall projection of sentences I will feed remotely through a website. Normally I would rely fully on someone else setting it up according to my instructions, but I started being fascinated by the idea of coding it myself or at least understanding what is going on to have a better dialogue with whoever is going to finally set it up.

Is there anyone willing to hear a little more in detail how I am thinking to go about this, maybe set me in the right direction and tell me if there are easier or better ways to achieve it?

I realise my question is hyper-generic, my apologies and thanks for your time!

Girolamo

Answers

• You should start by reading the Tutorials, then take a look at the Examples (shipped with Processing) and experiment.

Come back (with more specific questions!) if you are stuck.

• edited November 2014

Hi PhilLho,

Thanks. My questions are more regarding the structure/workflow of my project and whether I could use processing for it, rather than single tasks in the process (those questions will come later, no doubt).

Let's see:

I want to have a projection of a sentence on a wall. and remotely update the sentence whenever I decide so.

• A raspberry pi, when switched on, automatically runs Processing and, being connected to a projector, projects a **full screen **image on the wall
    • The raspberry pi is automatically connected via wifi
    • Processing every 5 minutes reads into a folder in my ftp server that contains sentences listed 1,2,3…** It picks the highest number** and that sentence is what it shows on the projection.
    • The sentences are .rtf files including font and maybe color settings.
    • Every time processing finds a new sentence has been added to the folder, with the highest number,** it fades out the previous sentence and fades in the new one**.
    • processing registers every operation, including possible failures, to a log folder on my server.

So, does this make sense? Is it the right way to go on about this? Is processing the right tool? As a beginner, is it reasonable that I attempt to do all this? Can someone recommend specific tutorials/examples to facilitate my hunt?

Thank you!