Best c++ tutorials?

edited October 2014 in General Discussion

Hi, does anyone know where the best c++ tutorials are? Links would be preferable, thanks.

Answers

• edited October 2014 Answer ✓

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/program_structure/

This is a Processing forum by the way, Stack Overflow will probably be the place to look up or ask for information

• edited October 2014 Answer ✓
  • @GoToLoop

I know, but I'm ready for the pain. Do you have a personal email I contact if I'm totally jammed?

@asimes Yes, thank you, I will. Btw, I didn't know you were that young. The other day I opened your picture and was surprised.

• Ha ha, I'm 25. A lot of C / C++ is similar to Java but you have to be a lot more careful with memory (pointers) or indexing. Often no error will be thrown if you do something crazy, it will assume you actually intended to do something crazy

• edited October 2014

I only look at my email about once a month. It's useless for personal contact! (~~)
    Moreover, I dunno C++. Only a little of C. Actually, I personally think C/C++ isn't worth learning anymore! 8-X

If you really want some fast system language which compiles to machine code, there are better & easier options:

However, web programing is much more ubiquitous, since every1 got a browser after all:

• I thought c++ was used for games? Like the good ones? Or is it not.

• @asimes

I like learning with videos but I can't seem to find any good ones.

• edited October 2014

Neither Processing nor OpenFrameworks are meant for games! And even though C++ is the most powerful for them, every other important languages got wrappers to use C/C++ libraries anyways!

If you prefer other languages for games, but easier than C++, there are these 2 framework examples below:

1. Python + PyGame: http://www.pygame.org/news.html
    2. Lua + Löve: https://love2d.org/
  • I really doubt you'll find much as far as videos go with C or C++. It is far lower level than Processing and its design assumes that a programmer has a good understanding of how a computer works. In other words, things are not simplified because the assumption is made that the programmer wants low level control. Many other languages (including Java) are made from C to give a programmers a higher level of abstraction and the low level control tends to go away as a result

I would suggest learning C rather than C++ as well, C++ is a superset of C (it does everything C does and more). Really the only benefit of C++ in my opinion is that there are classes but similar things can be done in C with structs and functions

• edited October 2014

Since I dunno C++, but some C, I agree that C + structs are much easier & faster than C++ + classes! O:-)

• Yes C is easier than C++ just as Processing is easier than Java, generally it is easier to learn a procedural language compared to its object orientated counterpart.

Unfortunately if you stick with C you will loose the benefits of object orientation which is much more than just replacing structs with classes.

I thought c++ was used for games?

In the UK, if you go to university to study computer games software development then you would learn C++ :)

• Okay I get it now.thanks guys

• edited October 2014

Generally it is easier to learn a procedural language compared to its object orientated counterpart.

BtW, all OOP languages are procedural as well. Most folks learn "Processing"'s OOP very easily! <:-P
    My complaint isn't about OOP, but how classes are implemented in C++!
    Although more detailed, it's more arduous. Gonna need more effort to learn!

Another 1 is that classes can be instantiated either w/ & w/o new keyword.
    However, we gotta use pointer/reference variables for the latter! >:P
    And I believe instantiating w/o new would allocate the object within the stack instead! Not sure though. :-S