Why not an OpenFramework mode ?

edited August 2014 in Developing Processing

I do not realize at all how much work it need to build a mode but Processing & OpenFramework are often compared and I think it must be possible to add an OpenFramework add on ? So, it could finally be possible to build for IOS

I suppose you already though about that, then why cofeescript but no openFramework ?

Tagged:

Answers

• ofSketch is one of the Processing Foundation projects currently being developed (by Brannon Dorsey and Christopher Baker) through the Google Summer of Code 2014 program. For more information, check out:

• edited August 2014

The above project and P5.js (also developed through GSOC) take the ideas and underlying philosophy of Processing and bring them to different languages, C++ and JS respectively, rather than providing a 'conversion of code' mode (which also remains a possibility and with regard to JS is already there).

• Thanks ! This is a good news, but why not an OF mode directly inside processing IDE that convert my pde into an OF project ? Is There a tutorial or something that show how to add a mode ? I'm not sure I could do it, but I'm curious

• edited August 2014

(sorry I didn't see your second message)

• Documentation on adding a mode hasn't been made available yet.

I also can't find an open issue about it.

• C++ is a fast compiled language. But I believe that pulling that out as a Processing mode isn't much feasible!
    And openFrameworks already exists and its framework is more adapted in dealing w/ C++ anyways.

Since main mode in Processing is Java's, other Java-like languages are much better candidates to become 1:

• I almost never used OF but I don't understand why it should be not feasible. if ofSketch represents PApplet correctly , why is it not possible to build a bridge between them ?

Sorry if my question is a bit naive but I don't understand.

• edited August 2014 Answer ✓

I don't understand why it should be not feasible.

D'u know what? Neither moi! C++ involves header files, complicated classes and pointers/references everywhere!
    I just guess that it doesn't translate too well in Processing's target audience w/o heavy adaptations like openFrameworks already did!

IMO, C++'s cousin, the D language, would be a much better candidate due to its class similarity w/ Java's: :D
    http://DLang.org/

Also, don't forget Arduino is like Processing under C! :P

• There's nothing at all to prevent someone from creating an openFrameworks mode, it's just that nobody has taken the time to do so.

The fact that oF is C/C++ has nothing to do with it—the Arduino IDE is just the PDE with Arduino as the Mode that's used by default. Instead of running the Java compiler as we do, it runs a C compiler.

Magically converting Processing source to oF syntax would be quite a bit of additional work, but simply coding oF projects in a Mode within the PDE is entirely possible.

• edited May 2015

@fry : Hello !

Thank you for your answer (and all your work by the way :) )

Do you know if there is a tutorial or some informations about the creation of new mode ?

I would be very happy to know more about this !

Thank you again !