port Processing for Android app to iOS?

edited March 2016 in Android Mode

Any suggestions on porting my existing Processing for Android app/code to iOS native Objective C?

There's j2ObjC tool from google (https://code.google.com/p/j2objc/), anyone had experience with this?

Any expert opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Tagged:

Answers

• Generally, to translate code from one language to another, you translate what the code is doing instead of trying to translate it line-by-line. In other words, you have to rewrite your program in the target language instead of trying to automatically translate each line.

You might want to check out RoboVM though: http://www.robovm.org/

• has anyone done this yet?

• @Fader: strange because i have exactly the same problem, as people ask me for "translating" my android apps in ios... As for that i downloaded & installed 2 days ago (eclipse) j2objc (mac osX); it seems to work, i mean that i get .h but till now i have only tried with very simple things and i cannot tell wether it is the true solution, which, i am afraid, could be just as KevinWorkman says to learn objectiveC...

• Since last posted this question, I have done some digging and the best solution for porting to iOS, at least in this case for my own project, is to re-write the app in openFrameworks.

• @Fader 2 other possibilities: codename one (but compiler is on line...), open source that i have added to eclipse but not yet tried neomad, which also is free & opensource, compiler not allways on line but i have opened Xcode!!! openFrameworks, why not... tell me the result!

• A while ago I did a test import of a .pde file (very simple) into Procoding running on an iPad and it worked first time. Will be testing how good it might be for a largish project soon. That would allow to still code on the Processing IDE and then just open into Procoding to run on iOS ... or at least that's the plan.. :)

• Procoding is based on ProcessingJS , then you can only work with ProcessingJs or write a compatible code

• @Fader== i have installed neomades and coded successfully a very simple app for iOS which runs... Of course it's necessary to have a look at the API, but it's not very different from android