Running processing sketches in HTML

What I need - is to be able to run my Sketch on my site. Initially I used studio.processing to do the work and later embedded my projects into the pages.

Currently, my projects need to much adaptation to run them in the studio (java -> java script), and I thought of turning my sketches into full blown Java applets to later run them on the site.

I read this instruction here: http://doc.gold.ac.uk/CreativeComputing/creativecomputation/?page_id=292

But there is one thing that I don't understand. In order for my sketches to work, they need to placed somewhere + there must be a Java machine to run them.

I just don't know how to do this -> is there a kind of online service that provides some space for these applets + offers the Java machine?

Tagged:

Answers

• edited August 2014 Answer ✓

A Java applet is run via the JRE installed in the machine's OS, just like any Java app!
    Besides that, a Java plugin gotta be installed and activated inside the browser accessing the applet.

After that, the user gotta give permission in order to run the applet.
    Depending on the safety level set in the plugin, it won't even bother asking the user if the app isn't signed!
    That signed app demanding thing is the death knell for Java's browser incursion. RiP! 8-X

Just a curious info: JS is itself run via a VM too. But unlike Java's, all modern browsers got a bundled JS VM!

• Answer ✓

OpenProcessing still accepts applets.

You can use the Applet Builder (if sketch runs in java mode and uses default [JAVA2D] renderer) to create and sign the applet. It will also create a basic web page. Everything you need to upload on your own site is in the applet folder created by the tool.