JRE Error Windows 7 - ugh!!!!

edited May 2014 in Using Processing

Hi,

Looked thru many topics on here, and I've seen a few related issues but none that seemed to have a 'confirmed' solution. I have downloaded the 64-bit AND 32-bit versions of Processing for Windows 7, and have also tried version 1.5.1....have deleted and re-installed Java, and still get the error "The application was configured to use a bundled Java Runtime Environment but the runtime is missing or corrupted".

After unzipping Processing to my desktop, I have tried going on and just clicking on "Processing.exe" to run it, this is where the error comes in. I've moved the folder to C:, same results. It also gives this error message if you try to from from a command prompt. I DO have the Arduino software installed, which works FINE. I wonder if there is some conflict there, maybe?

I'd love to be able to use Processing to interface with electronics projects, but it's really breaking my back here! Has ANYONE found a solution for this conflict/error/missing file??

Next step is to try to load Processing on Linux, I guess.

Tagged:

Answers

• Processing comes bundled with a version of Java. It's in the java directory inside your Processing directory.

This error (which is actually a Launch4J error) is telling you that that version of Java has been corrupted. Are you renaming that directory or moving stuff around in there?

• I'm happy that in Linux I can simply delete that bundled Java in "/java" subfolder! \m/
    In Windows, dunno why, the devs made it so that the subfolder has to exist.
    Only solution is deceive Processing by hardlink the subfolder to the actual Java installed in the system! :-<

• No, right from the unzip it does this. I find it interesting that there's no 'installer', and that you have the folder with 1,000+ files! All I'm doing is clicking on "Processing.exe".

Can you explain how you fool the java file (which i CAN see in there, "processing-Java" application?)....I don't have ANY folders/subfolders with any of the releases I've downloaded...only loose files....this is the same for the most recent release as well as 1.5.1....VERY odd....

• Answer ✓

HA HA HA HA! I found it...the above comment I just made held the answer. I used "Filzip" to unpack the download...it didn't recreate the file tree for some reason! So I used WinRAR, which DID, and now Processing is up and running!! Thanks for the nudge, folks! Maybe the next person with this error will see this....

• edited May 2014

I don't have ANY folders/subfolders with any of the releases I've downloaded...

I'm pretty sure the compressed "installing" file comes w/ at least 5 sub-folders.
    Processing v1.5.1 comes w/ these sub-folders:

1. /java
    2. /lib
    3. /modes
    4. /sketches (which is empty btW)
    5. /tools

Processing v2.0.2 for Linux:

1. /core
    2. /launch4j
    3. /java
    4. /lib
    5. /modes
    6. /tools

As I've already mentioned, I've erased the "/java" subfolder to force the Processing to use system's default Java!
    However, from Processing 2.x.x and on, that won't work on Windows unless you replace the removed "/java"
    by a hardlink junction for the actual installed Java in the OS!
    B/c the devs willfully & unnecessarily decided that Windows users gotta forcefully use some old bundled Java!

I'm puzzled why you wouldn't have subfolders when you decompress the "install" file?
    Perhaps you gotta use a better utility like "7-zip"?

HA HA HA HA! I found it...

Oh, I was slow. Glad you finally ended up using a better compressing/decompressing utility for the task.
    Nevertheless, "7-zip" and many others are free. While "WinRAR" isn't. Although it's 1 of the best there is! :D

P.S.; Never heard about this "Filzip". Perhaps it's some crap MacOS-only util? >:)

• Nah, Windows 7, freeware. "Just another zip utility". Now I'm wondering how many of these complaints exactly like mine could be due to using a poor zip utility!?

I've already dug into Processing (want to do some interfacing with the Arduino, actually), and am finding it pretty intuitive - seems to be running just FINE so far! :D