Joysticks in Processing? Procontroll library help!

I am currently trying to make a program that acts like an arcade machine, and uses a joystick for input. I have looked in several places, and have only found one working library for this, procontroll. I downloaded and installed the file into the correct folder, however, when i go to run the sample programs, they all give me an error message that says:

"A library relies on native code that's not available. Or only works properly when the sketch is run as a 32-bit application."

in the console. Does this mean that I installed it wrong, or is it saying that the library is outdated? or is there something else that I am missing?

Here is a link to the library: (http://creativecomputing.cc/p5libs/procontroll/)

If this is not fixable, is there any other working library for joystick control that is ready for distribution?

Thanks in advance,

• Matt

Answers

• edited March 2014 Answer ✓

You can download the native libraries for Windows 64 bit (jinput-dx8_64.dll) from here.

Put this with the other jinput files and rename it jinput-dx8.dll (replacing the existing file for 32 bit Windows), I tried this in Windows 7 (64 bit) with Processing 2.1.1 and it worked for me.

I posted the above in another topic where you asked about a Windows 64 bit version of ProControll. HTH

I am currently working on a tool/library combination based on ProControll which will work on both 32/64 bit Windows platforms as well as OSX and Linux. The tool will enable the user to browse connected games devices in a visual interface and create device configuration files in the current sketch folder. The sketch will then use the library to find a device that matches the config file, if it can't find a matching device then it will present the user with a list of connected devices and allow the user to configure one of these.

So the sketch could be written to use a joystick but then if the user does not have a joystick, configure the sketch to use a gamepad instead. It will also help create cross-platform applications as well.

I still have some way to go but thought you might be interested.

• Thank you so much!!! I appreciate your time and effort in this.

• @Quark-- I have no way to tell how old this discussion is. But your method works great.

Can I use some features of your project now considering it is a beta? Would that be possible? I am very curious about this.

• edited May 2014

@soumtheman

You might want to look at the ProControl Plus library which I created to update proCONTROLL.

Can I use some features of your project now considering it is a beta? Would that be possible? I am very curious about this.

All my Processing libraries and tools are open source and can be used in anyway you like provided I am credited in the same way I credited Christian Riekoff, the creator of proCONTROLL.

• This is awesome! Thanks a lot for sharing this