export problem - no html

edited March 2014 in Using Processing

Hi

I'm new to processing, just got Dan Shiffman's book.

I'm trying out the first steps where we have to export and test. The file happily saves, but I only see "export application" in the file menu - which I guess is standard.

However, when I save the file it exports automatically to ~/documents/processing/sketch_140305b… but no applet folder appears (as mentioned in the book), I have no HTML file in the folder either.

I do have: 1) sketch_140305b.pde + a file named: /application.macosx/ - this has inside of it: 2) sketch_140305b.app + a file named: /source/ - inside of that: 3) two files: sketch_140305b.pde + sketch_140305b.java

nowhere do I see a html file, or applet (see screen shot).

Can someone point me in the right direction - I'm running this on a mac and the processing is the latest version 2.1.1.

Thanks in advance!Screen Shot 2014-03-05 at 12.34.33

Tagged:

Answers

• edited March 2014 Answer ✓

That book was written when Processing 1 series reigned! Processing 2 series don't export Java applets anymore! :(
    Even worse, from Processing 2.1+ and on, it can only export to the same OS it's running on! :-L
    My advise is to also install Processing 1.5.1 for awhile, for the purpose to study that book more comfortably! *-:)
    On a side note, Processing 2+ got JavaScript & CoffeeScript modes, which generate an HTML file running our sketches as JS! =:)

• Great, that sounds useful, how do I use those? Do I have to 'initialize' the JavaScript & CoffeeScript modes, or is it somewhere in some sort of permissions options.

Thanks

• edited March 2014

You gotta install the 1s you want. On the far top right, a rect button labeled 'Java', click there. Then choose 'Add Mode'.

• Great, thanks. I had noticed that, but hadn't got round to clicking on the 'add' button to see what happened. Anyhow, they're added now.