identifying / deleting key frame of video

edited February 2014 in How To...

hello everyone. i dont have much experience with the video library in processing, but am about to start some projects with it. i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with dealing with individual frames of either avi or mp4 videos. more specifically, im trying to be able to determine if a frame is an 'i frame' (key frame) or a 'b frame' (change frame). and then do things depending on which type they are (copy and repeat change frames, delete key frames, etc.) to alter the video. let me know any ideas you may have. thanks

Answers

• Get a video playing first. Then you'll realize that a video is just a bunch of images shown one after another. I don't know how you tell the difference between an i and b frame, but chances are that it'll involve looking at the pixels of each image after you've drawn it.

• the problem with that is that only the i frames are actually pictures. the b frames are just the small changes from the frame before it. i could just get every frame of the video as a picture, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of what im trying to do.

• Answer ✓

I am not sure, but perhaps you need to parse yourself the video file to identify and manipulate the frames at such low level... Unless a Java library already exists and does that?