Preview Issues on multiple machines, but not the code...

edited February 2014 in Questions about Code

Hello,

So i hate to have to ask for help on my second day of using processing, but unfortunately, my issue stops me from moving forward and coding anything.

Here is the issue. I am working through some examples from a book. Each time i try to preview it, I get a couple issues. -First, the canvas size is smaller than what i assigned in the code. For example, i set it to 1000x1000, but it comes out to about 100x100.
-I was working through these examples along side a friend, and I had a bunch of moving circles, where he had static circles. clearly there is an issue there, but that probably leads me to the next issue: -I get this error in the console under the coding window:

Feb 7 11:35:30 DELETED ADDRESS java[6553] : The function `CGContextErase' is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance.

Now, as for troubleshooting, I grabbed my friends copy of code that he was working with and opened it (basically same thing in a new file), it still had same issues. I copied it over to a mac mini (originally using macbook pro), and tried it there. But with the mac mini, i dont even get a window to open up!? So i understand that it probably an issue for a seperate thread, but its strange that i am having issues accross 2 compuers.

I updated java on the Macbook pro, no help. I also, downloaded a fresh copy of processing and that didnt help either.

any insight would be appreciated. I can not learn if its broken!

Answers

• 100x100 is the default for when you don't supply a size.

size() should be the first call in setup. it should have the values hard-coded into it, not use variables. often people use variables that have not been initialised.

• OK, this is embarrassing, but as for the sizing issue. I just accidentally capitalized size. I guess it is better to learn that lesson now.

Still getting that error message though, and the trouble with the mac mini....