if i download java 7 will Processing 2.0.3 run with no problems?

edited February 2014 in Using Processing

i run Processing 2.0.3 on osX 10.8.5 imac 2013 (64bit) - i have found i frequently cant view processing examples online because i'd have to download java 7, "Recommended Version 7 Update 51" (from dwnld pg).

I dont want to alter my java in case it causes problems with Processing. Is java 7 okay?

Tagged:

Answers

• Answer ✓

Even Processing v1.5.1 runs under Java 7 w/o any problems! :(|)

• Thanks for quick response -

• It depends what you mean. Java 7 can run older versions. However, Java 7 update 51 introduced security "enhancements" that might make it harder to run applets and webstarts online. There are ways around this, which I've outlined here: http://StaticVoidGames.com/tutorials/deployment

• I have Java 7 under OSX installed and can assure you that Processing (and most other Java related stuff) will work. However, I experienced the same issues as KevinWorkman about the security update and couldn't find a way around it. If I visit openprocessing.org and want to run a Java applet sketch, I get blocked, regardless of the security configurations in Java I make. I can type in the openprocessing url to not block the website but most applets there access other urls (for whatever reasons) so they still get blocked. Changing the security to "medium" doesn't work either. Does anyone know how to fix this?

• What is the exact error you're seeing? Can you post a screenshot or copy and paste the full text of the error?

• OpenJDK 7 64-bit stopped working w/ applets for me since last update, even though I've given it all permissions! :o3

• @KevinWorkman: unfortunately, it's only in German, but maybe you can read it or at least identify what it could be. :) The headline reads: "Application blocked. Click to get more details" and the options are "Details", "Ignore" and "Reload", but none of them really help.

Bildschirmfoto 2014-02-04 um 19.02.31

• The text says something like: "The application is blocked, even though the website, from which the file under (...) is hostet, is listed under exceptional websites. However, the application points to a resource from multiple domains. The file jar under (...) is located under another domain and is not on the list of exceptional websites."

• That error is because the applet is probably being loaded from a subdomain. I explain this for my site at the above tutorial, but you have to figure out what the other domain is and add that to your whitelist as well.

For example, you probably have OpenProcessing.org in your whitelist, but the applet is actually being loaded from somewhere like applets.OpenProcessing.org (that's just an example). Java treats the subdomain as a completely separate site, so you have to have both in your whitelist.

Although, I would expect lowering your security settings would fix this error as well.