Processing takes about a minute to start up, as well as to save a new sketch.

Lately processing hangs for about a minute whenever it starts up, it also hangs for a very long time whenever I save a new sketch or use save as to save a copy of a sketch. It doesn't seem to matter how simple the sketch is. Could this be due to some temporary files or something that isn't being cleared out? Any ideas?

Answers

• You could always delete your Processing installation and do a fresh install.

• edited March 2018

Oddly, deleting the appdata folder and the program folder doesn't fix it. But I discovered that if I run the processing.exe directly it starts almost immediately, however if I click on a task bar shortcut I created it takes forever and locks up for a minute on startup. Possibly avast is screwing around but even if I disable avast I still have the problem. Edit: I spoke too soon, it seems like it's happening even when starting it directly now. Could it be a networking thing? I remember I had a lot of issues first getting processing to work until I set system proxy to false in settings.

• edited April 2018

Nobody? It literally can take 2 minutes just to save... starting a sketch and starting processing is also extremely slow. It's taking almost as long to run a JAVA mode sketch no matter how simple as an android sketch. Something is seriously wrong. I guess it has something to do with documents/Processing folder.

edit: Maybe something corrupted in the templates folder. I didn't realize there was anything else in that folder besides libraries and all the save files as it was so cluttered. But deleting it fixed the problem. I had previously removed libraries and modes.

edit2: trying to copy over my sketches, it worked out to be multiple gigabytes. How is that possible? I don't use any data and all my sketches are pretty basic.

edit3: it looks like the culprit is the android folder in the documents/processing folder, it's 4gb. That makes sense because I started noticing it freezing up once I installed android mode.

Is there anything that I can do about this? Should the android folder be there? Is it trying to search through all 4gb of files every time it tries to do something like save or startup?

Edit4: after I added all my sketches etc. back into the folder without the android, it locks up again, but only for 5-10 seconds or so instead of a minute. Does processing try to read everything in the my documents/processing folder on startup and save as? Seems like a bad place to save files if that is the case?

Is there any way to use android mode without that giant folder locking everything up, even in Javamode?

• You should create a github ticket explaining your problem. I don't think there is documentation explaining how to manage these folders. I do notice that running Android sketches generate larger temp files associated to those sketches. If you use an emulator, I believe a VM is created in your HD containing the emulator, which could easily take about 1GB or more. I do not know much details about the management of supporting files in the backstage but I think it is important to know this. Documenting this part of processing will allow users to do their own proper maintenance of resources aka. clearing proper temp files when needed or required.

Kf