Can't type or use tab in Processing

edited March 2018 in Using Processing

I'm teaching Processing to high school students and for some reason occasionally they can't type in their code. And sometimes they can type but cannot tab. And then other times command "c" and command "v" work just fine and other times they do not. I cannot figure out why this might be and how to fix it. Currently the only thing that works is to exit out of the program and reopen it.

Tagged:

Answers

• @misswoz --

What operating system and version are the students using?

What version number of Processing?

Is it affecting all of the students in the class, or only some of them?

...has anyone else heard of a bug like this?

• The only time this has happened to me was when I was using something like VNC or remote desktop.

• It's multiple operating systems but all Mac OS. Some are 10.12.5, 10.12.6, 10.11.6. I just polled my 5th period and 12 out of 30 have NOT had the issue, but everyone else has. I work for Chicago Public Schools. I checked the utility monitor because we've been having other issues this year with Processing that we haven't had in the past and it seems that VShield (which is something through McAfee) is taking up 98%. So we're trying to work around that as well. The version of Processing that we are using is 3.3.6.

• @misswoz --

This sounds like it would be worth reporting to Processing Issues

https://github.com/processing/processing/issues

to see if the core developers have any ideas of why it might be happening.

Failure to type into the window on MacOS is surprising -- I personally haven't seen that before, but if it is happening on many computers with the latest Processing, that is definitely worth investigating.

• Is this only with Processing, or does it happen with other text editors?

• Only Processing.