[Update] Share my pencil sketch like computation art

edited March 2018 in Share Your Work

I have recently done two pieces of generative artworks, which is code via Processing. These pencil sketch like art are actually drawn in millions of grayscale dots by computer programs and accurate mathematical computation.

[Update] : This article shows the concept and approach to create this forest drawing. How do I draw a pencil-sketch like forest with Processing

19a 19d 20a 20d

Comments

• fantastic.

• Thank you for the compliment.

• This is incredible. If you could make a tutorial for how you approached the problems and math without giving up your source code, that would be amazing.

• dagoolasoul -- very beautiful work! the texture and lighting effect in particular create a strong sense of shape and depth -- for example, more mold and shadow on the right side of the trunks than the left.

The joins on the upward forks mostly look quite organic.

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 11.09.22 AM

By contrast, the only artifact I see in this work that looks really "generative-art-y" is the trunk joins on the downward facing branches.

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 11.08.46 AM

• @dagoolasoul Could you comment on your approach about adding the dot appearance to your trunks? Was it through a texture or did you do this by hand? Also:

more mold and shadow on the right side of the trunks than the left.

How did you work the shadows for the trunks? I am curious to see your approach on this.

Kf

• The reason the branches look a little unnatural when pointing down is probably because the shadows are tied to the object's orientation and not the world orientation, so when the branches are rotated to the downwards orientation, the shadows are on the opposite side.

• Hi

I am glad to hear a lot of feedback from you. I will spend some time to write down how I approach these works.

To @jeremydouglass and @BGADII, thank you for point out the problem. The downwards trunks seems unnatural, I thought the main reason is because the the color (brightness) of branches are not smoothly connect with its parent trunk. @BGADII also point out the problem that the shadow orientation on branches are weird which I haven't noticed before. I will try to improve this problem.

Kung-ta

• Hi everyone, I have paste an article link at the end of this post to show you how I create this drawing. Because I am not very good in English, this article is original written in Chinese and use Google to translate into English plus a little modification, hope it not too difficult to understand.

• Great article; extremely clear and easy to understand. Thank you for sharing it.

If you would like minor corrections to the English then let me know.

• @dagoolasoul Thxs for sharing. Great article.

Kf

• @jeremydouglass Sure, it will be great if someone can help me to correct my English!

• Okay, I am sending you an update as a direct message.

• @jeremydouglass Thank you so much! I have updated my article, it now become more readable.

• Wow, thank you!