Art-Net Library for Processing

I finally managed it to put a little time into my already existing Art-Net library for Java & Processing. It is based on the 5 year old artnet4j project, hosted on google code.

I have added some very important extensions to library:

Allow Socket Reuse - This is necessary to run multiple ArtNet servers / clients on one system. Otherwise the artnet port can only be used by one application.

Network Interface Selection - It is possible to select the specific network interface to communicate with. This is necessary if you have a special network for your ArtNet devices, but would like to be connected to a second network (e.g. for monitoring).

Receiving ArtNet DMX Data - Without this modification, the library was not able to read ArtNet from another node. The library also supports a simple caching solution, to read the dmx data when you need it (not event driven).

Here is a simple example how to read data:

ArtNetClient artnet = new ArtNetClient();

// set interface address to listen to
artnet.start("127.0.0.1");

byte[] data = artnet.readDmxData(0, 0);
System.out.println("First Byte: " + data[0] & 0xFF);
artnet.start.stop();

You can download the library here (under releases): github.com/cansik/artnet4j

I am also waiting for the approval into the library manager.

Comments

• You dear sir are a lifesaver! The code just... works. (Let's hope it keeps working until saturday!)

Thanks a lot!

• @colouredmirrorball That's great to here! How did it work :)?

• @cansik I made this overly complicated setup... I have a number of RGBW LED strips that I control with Arduinos, which are controlled by Raspberry Pis. The Pis run a Processing sketch that I can send commands to from another sketch running on my laptop. I could select colour, effect and effect speed per LED strip. No individual pixel control from the laptop even though the leds are individually addressable, but I programmed some effects on the Arduinos that used this property.

For a gig, my friend was using a Chamsys board running MagicQ. So I reprogrammed the sketch running on my laptop to accept art-net using your fine library. We connected the Chamsys board to my laptop with an Ethernet cable through one of its art-net outputs and voila, the LED strips became controllable from his console! Works also with Freestyler.

Only downside was a slight delay between control input and LED strip response, which isn't surprising if you know the signal path: console -> (art-net) -> laptop running Processing -> (wifi) -> Raspberry Pi running Processing -> (serial) -> Arduino -> LED strip... Another issue is a timing desync, eg. stroboscope flashes became misaligned between the strips.

In the future I want to deprecate the Raspis and use a better controller that I can connect to network directly. The Arduino Nanos with ethernet expansion board proved too slow for realtime per-pixel control, as the communication between the Nanos and the ethernet board is using the serial interface. So I'm looking for a microcontroller that can directly translate an image to pixel output, and do it fast enough to get a decent framerate. All I need is time and money...

• Have a look at NodeMCU (ESP8266), they are already WIFI enabled and have much more processing power :) I think there is already an artnet library for them.

• They have been recommended to me in the past, but they only work with wifi! I'd rather use ethernet cables and network switches, because that's more reliable than wifi in a stage setting. The ideal microcontroller can do both as wifi is a lot easier to set up than running cables, but the question remains how well they will work when there are a lot of them (currently at eight strips/controllers but I want MO4R!). Ideally I'd need something like an Arduino Mega but that gets expensive, and is probably overkill anyway.

• @colouredmirrorball a completely different option for this might be TinkerForge It's a bit more plug-and-play, which has its pros and cons. :-)

They have a direct Java library and WiFi / ethernet connection. The library is built in to Praxis LIVE, but usable from Processing - I've done a few projects passing Processing images to LED strips with this.