"Timeout occurred while waiting for packet 211" error from the IDE

Since I upgraded to 3.3.6 and denied Java access to networks, I get this error periodically in the IDE.

How can I prevent this, without granting Java access to networks? This is on Windows 7 64-bit.

org.eclipse.jdi.TimeoutException: Timeout occurred while waiting for packet 211. at org.eclipse.jdi.internal.connect.PacketReceiveManager.getReply(PacketReceiveManager.java:187) at org.eclipse.jdi.internal.connect.PacketReceiveManager.getReply(PacketReceiveManager.java:198) at org.eclipse.jdi.internal.MirrorImpl.requestVM(MirrorImpl.java:192) at org.eclipse.jdi.internal.MirrorImpl.requestVM(MirrorImpl.java:227) at org.eclipse.jdi.internal.VirtualMachineImpl.exit(VirtualMachineImpl.java:735) at processing.mode.java.runner.Runner.close(Runner.java:892) at processing.mode.java.JavaEditor.handleStop(JavaEditor.java:1129) at processing.mode.java.JavaEditor.internalCloseRunner(JavaEditor.java:1296) at processing.app.ui.Editor.prepareRun(Editor.java:2803) at processing.mode.java.JavaEditor.prepareRun(JavaEditor.java:1768) at processing.mode.java.JavaEditor.handleLaunch(JavaEditor.java:1086) at processing.mode.java.JavaEditor.handleRun(JavaEditor.java:1063) at processing.mode.java.JavaEditor$4.actionPerformed(JavaEditor.java:209) at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2022) at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2348) at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:402) at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259) at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:376) at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:356) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Actions.actionPerformed(BasicMenuItemUI.java:802) at javax.swing.SwingUtilities.notifyAction(SwingUtilities.java:1663) at javax.swing.JComponent.processKeyBinding(JComponent.java:2882) at javax.swing.JMenuBar.processBindingForKeyStrokeRecursive(JMenuBar.java:699) at javax.swing.JMenuBar.processBindingForKeyStrokeRecursive(JMenuBar.java:706) at javax.swing.JMenuBar.processBindingForKeyStrokeRecursive(JMenuBar.java:706) at javax.swing.JMenuBar.processKeyBinding(JMenuBar.java:677) at javax.swing.KeyboardManager.fireBinding(KeyboardManager.java:307) at javax.swing.KeyboardManager.fireKeyboardAction(KeyboardManager.java:293) at javax.swing.JComponent.processKeyBindingsForAllComponents(JComponent.java:2974) at javax.swing.JComponent.processKeyBindings(JComponent.java:2966) at javax.swing.JComponent.processKeyEvent(JComponent.java:2845) at processing.app.syntax.JEditTextArea.processKeyEvent(JEditTextArea.java:1881) at processing.mode.java.pdex.JavaTextArea.processKeyEvent(JavaTextArea.java:145) at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6310) at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2236) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4889) at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2294) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711) at java.awt.KeyboardFocusManager.redispatchEvent(KeyboardFocusManager.java:1954) at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchKeyEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:806) at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.preDispatchKeyEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:1074) at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.typeAheadAssertions(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:945) at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:771) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4760) at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2294) at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2746) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711) at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758) at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97) at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709) at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:80) at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:90) at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:731) at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:729) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:80) at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:201) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

Answers

• This is probably just the IDE checking whether there's a new version. It's fine if this fails, and you can treat this as a warning and ignore it.

• Thanks, but seems unlikely, since "Allow update checking" is unchecked.

• Then please be more specific about exactly when you get this error.

Does this happen when you first open the editor? When you run a sketch? (Which one?) When you stop a sketch? Something else?

Does this error seem to interfere with anything, or is it just a warning?

• edited January 2018

Then please be more specific about exactly when you get this error.

I can say only it appears randomly, infrequently.

Not specifically when I open the IDE or run or stop a sketch.

Does this error seem to interfere with anything,

My reading of the console.

• edited January 2018

Googling "org.eclipse.jdi.internal.VirtualMachineImpl" returns a bunch of results that help explain the issue, and googling "org.eclipse.jdi.internal.VirtualMachineImpl processing" returns this bug: https://github.com/processing/processing/issues/2623

Apparently this is not networking code at all. It's caused by a stack overflow in your code.

• Thanks.

It's caused by a stack overflow in your code.

Can't see how. Unlike the example you posted, my code has no recursion.

And goodness knows why a stack overflow in my code would cause an exception in Eclipse.

• Can't see how. Unlike the example you posted, my code has no recursion.

There are other ways to cause a stack overflow that are not recursion -- for example, allocating or growing a very large stack variable.

Also keep in mind, there is no reason to play guess-all-the-different-things-it-could-be without providing actual code that could be used to reproduce your problem. That's not a good approach to debugging for anyone.

If the error is erratic and you are not confident that code can be used to reproduce your problem, consider different kinds of testing to isolate the issue -- for example, does the identical code do the same thing on a different computer? For related discussions, see:

• And goodness knows why a stack overflow in my code would cause an exception in Eclipse.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Are you asking why there is org.eclipse code in Processing PDE?

https://github.com/processing/processing/search?utf8=✓&q=org.eclipse&type=

Or are asking whether org.eclipse Java code and the Eclipse desktop application are the same thing? I can't tell.

• There are other ways to cause a stack overflow that are not recursion -- for example, allocating or growing a very large stack variable.

I'm not doing that, anywhere I can see.

Also keep in mind, there is no reason to play guess-all-the-different-things-it-could-be

Agreed... if I could find a way to debug the run-time memory usage. Is there one? Even a display of the amount would be a good start.

without providing actual code that could be used to reproduce your problem. That's not a good approach to debugging for anyone.

It's good enough for me :) I'm not expecting anyone else to debug my code, and would not want to post the code.

• Are you asking why there is org.eclipse code in Processing PDE?

No.

Or are asking whether org.eclipse Java code and the Eclipse desktop application are the same thing?

I wasn't asking anything :)

My "And goodness knows why a stack overflow in my code would cause an exception in Eclipse." was because I'd be surprised if my program and the IDE were that interdependent. I guess I'm wrong and in fact they are sharing the same JVM and hence stack+heap allocation.

• Without more detail, it's going to be hard to help you further. I'd love to see a MCVE to check the behavior on my machines. If you don't feel like putting one together, that's fine, but there's probably not much more we can say then.

Agreed... if I could find a way to debug the run-time memory usage. Is there one? Even a display of the amount would be a good start.

Yes, there are quite a few different ways to measure your memory use. From simple things like just printing it out, to more advanced tools that help you profile your code. I recommend googling "java measure memory usage" for a ton of results.

In any case, the error is caused by a stack overflow somewhere in your code, which can be caused by any number of things, not just recursion.

• I recommend googling "java measure memory usage" for a ton of results.

OK, so nothing in Processing then. Thanks.

In any case, the error is caused by a stack overflow somewhere in your code,

I wonder what makes you think so. As opposed to heap usage. And/or in the Eclipse code.

• edited January 2018

OK, so nothing in Processing then. Thanks.

Well, anything you can do in Java, you can do in Processing. So the memory measurement approach that works in Java (it's honestly just a few lines of code) will work in Processing.

I wonder what makes you think so. As opposed to heap usage. And/or in the Eclipse code.

What makes me think that is the results I posted in my reply. Other people have discussed this, and the consensus is that it's caused by a stack overflow. But again, anything we're saying is just a guess until we can see your code.

• edited January 2018

What makes me think that is the results I posted in my reply. Other people have discussed this, and the consensus is that it's caused by a stack overflow.

The consensus was that particular case was caused by a stack overflow ... in that old version. This new version has the fix https://github.com/processing/processing/pull/4152 and indeed here stack overflow (from e.g. recursion) does get reported as a stack overflow.

That discussion says " the StackOverflowError is sent, but for some reason a timeout occurs before it reaches the PDE.". The only part of that which is necessarily applicable to my case is "the error is sent, but for some reason a timeout occurs before it reaches the PDE."

We don't know what the error is, but stack overflow looks very unlikely.

Unless I find a easy way to narrow down the cause here, I'll try again on a future version hoping this case is fixed as was the stackoverflow case.

FTR I'm using thread().

Thanks.

• Yep, like we've said, we can't really help in any more detail unless we see some example code. Good luck.