How to retrieve where an error happens

edited January 2018 in How To...

I get an error message that I wrote myself in a method, but I can't figure out in which centext it happens.

Example :

void aMethod() {
 if(problem){print("Error");}
}

The method aMethod is used in a lots of different contexts in my sketch. How can I modify my error message so I get something like the stack trace of an error ?

Answers

• You can use exceptions for this.

If you want to pass an error up the stack:

if(problem){
       throw new Exception("Error");
    }

If you just want to print a stack trace:

if(problem){
      new Exception().printStackTrace();
    }

Shameless self-promotion: I wrote a tutorial on Exceptions available here.

• What id your definition for problem? You get access to the stack when an error is thrown. However, how to merge your approach with:

try {
    } 
    catch (IOException e) {
      e.printStackTrace();
    }

More info is needed.

Kf

• edited January 2018

first idea

you can make a different println statement in every place that aMethod() is called

println ("I am line number 93 calling aMethod()");
    aMethod(); 

second idea

OR you can pass an ID (or a String) to aMethod():

void aMethod(int ID) {
         if(problem) { 
            print("Error: " + ID);
        }
     }

• @KevinWorkman the first solution gives me an Unhandled exception type Exception. The second doesn't print anything but looks to me like what I'm looking for.

@kfrajer the true situation is :

Real divide(Real A, Real B) { // divide A by B
      if(B.isZero()){print("Error");}
      else{...}
    }

For a homemade class Real

@Chrisir I'll use this as a last resort if I can't find something easier to handle

• That is what I would expect the first solution to do. You need to handle the exception. Please read the link on exceptions I posted above.

The second solution should print a stack trace to your console, unless you're immediately exiting or something. Please post a MCVE showing exactly what you tried.

• Problem solved, new Exception().printStackTrace(); did it ! I realized that I wrote the same error message in another line in the same method, and it was this other one that was written in the console. Thanks !