PC app stores

edited December 2017 in Share Your Work

I'm a novice with Processing - an artist trying to dabble in coding art related app. I've built an app and want to submit to app stores that allow apps for PC (not android or mobile apps). Are there any app stores where I can submit/publish my app, other than Amazon?

Tagged:

Comments

• My submission at Amazon failed as it said the installer does not launch when downloaded. I've embedded java when exporting the application. So, there is a java folder in the applications.windows32 folder. That java folder is the installer, right? If so, why has the submission failed due to installer not launching?

• I don't have experience with his kind of publishing. My two cents: you will need to check their documentation on their site and see their requirements.

Kf

• Amazon documentation mentioned uploading a binary, that is, a .zip file containing an executable for pc and mac apps. So I clicked export application in the the .pde, and ticked embed Java (as I read in this forum that Java was the installer) and compressed the resultant folder (applications.windows32) into a .zip and uploaded. The zip folder had a .exe file. What have I done wrong? Is Java not the installer? Feeling stuck here. Pl help.

• Sorry, the installer executable file is the .exe which is in the zip folder. Java folder is also included in the zip folder. So, why does it say installer not launches when downloaded. Should I also include Processing as most computers need to have that IDE for the app to function?

• I am not used to exporting my code... I would assume that when you export, you can move that folder into any machine (with the same OS) and run it. Those target machines don't need to have Processing install. I wonder about java (even any java conflict if present in the target machine but different to the one that comes in the deployment folder.... anyways this is for another question). I will let other ppl clarify that part.

This is from the next link https://github.com/processing/processing/wiki/Export-Info-and-Tips :

When distributing your application, the "source" folder can be removed from the export if you'd like, but other files (such as the lib folder and any .dll files or whatever) should be left intact otherwise the application will not work.

Related to the amazon part, can you provide a link? Also check if they have some guidelines that you need to follow.

Kf

• Thanks. Amazon is not much help. They don't bother to respond. Still, here is their faq link: https://developer.amazon.com/docs/mac-pc/faq.html . Their guidelines simply say that developer has to upload the binary, which can have a .exe (installer executable) in its zip file, (ie zip can be uploaded for binary). The pde which is exported as .exe does not seem to launch. So, why the exported pde, which is now an executable not launching. Java folder is also included. So, that's my doubt. Btw, is there any other way to distribute PC apps other than manually sending it to others' PCs? Any other platform that will not have trouble with Processing apps? Any idea?

• You might need to post in their forum. You might get an answer there: https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/82319/amazon-app-not-working.html

Kf

• The link is for android. I've posted twice in App store and PC and mac issues. No response. Mails to them have also not elicited any. Why I'm posting in Processing is because the response from Amazon team is that the exported app (exe) is not launching whereas it works fine in my PC.