Android Mode - Eclipse - Proclipsing: Problems/Questions.

edited January 2014 in Android Mode

Hi all. I am totally new to this forum as well as quite new with Processing and coding in general so excuse me if I will ask any stupid question now and in the future. But you know they say don't be afraid to ask stupid questions :)

I have made some Processing sketches in Java mode and would like to make them work in a standalone Android mobile app by having a simple GUI as main menu and choosing each sketch from it.

1) Is this possible with 3rd party IDE like Eclipse?

2) After following a bunch of troubleshooting tutorial on APKs and installing some APIs amongst them the API10, without writing any code in Android Mode is giving me these errors:

Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 00.13.27

..any one knows why?

3) I also found about Proclipsing (which I recommend using even to code even Processing sketches), does anyone know if this plugin can be used alongside the Android Developer Tools to create a mixture of GUI Activities mixed with Processing sketches in one app for the Android mobiles.

Thanks for reading guys. Thats all. I know it's too much but I need some answers as I am working on some school assignments which involves this stuff! I really appreciate if anyone would help me out. Thanks again :)

Answers

• edited January 2014

Your problem is in setting up Processing for Android development. If you look at the last couple of lines in your console output, you will find that the ANT build script cannot find the Java Compiler (javac). You should check to see if the indicated file exists. I'm not sure what would cause the ANT script to break...

It is possible to use Eclipse for Android Processing development, although you must use the ADT version of Eclipse (should come with the SDK), and it is not recommended unless you have a bit of experience with both Android Processing and Eclipse development. It is possible to export the the Processing sketch as an Android project and then add that project into Eclipse.

• Wow Calsign, I saw a lot of your posts, thanks for helping out everyone, I really really appreciate your help. Unfortunately though, I am still stuck so I am hoping for some more help :) please.

<do-only-if-manifest-hasCode elseText="hasCode = false. Skipping...">
               <!-- merge the project's own classpath and the tested project's classpath -->
                <path id="project.javac.classpath">
                    <path refid="project.all.jars.path" />
                    <path refid="tested.project.classpath" />
                    <path path="${java.compiler.classpath}" />
                </path>
                <javac encoding="${java.encoding}"
                        source="${java.source}" target="${java.target}"
                        debug="true" extdirs="" includeantruntime="false"
                        destdir="${out.classes.absolute.dir}"
                        bootclasspathref="project.target.class.path"
                        verbose="${verbose}"
                        classpathref="project.javac.classpath"
                        fork="${need.javac.fork}">

I found the build.xml file and tried to look at the line numbers where the error is marked but I know nearly nothing about xml, so I posted from lines 720 - 734 (the two lines causing problems), I don't know if this helps you understand anything. I am really confused.

About Eclipse, I already downloaded Eclipse for Android, and also created a splash page and a menu, I just need to implement the Processing sketches now (which I think will give me a hard time). If the above problem with the Processing IDE persists, I think I have no other option but to proceed with Eclipse directly.

By the way, I already have the sketches ready but where created in Java mode. Do you have any suggestion?

• Answer ✓

The ANT build script cannot find the Java compiler (javac). Does this path exist on your system (taken from your screenshot above)? This is where ANT is looking:

/Applications/Processing.app/Contents/PlugIns/jdk1.7.0_45.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/bin/javac

Incorporating the sketches into Eclipse is a task to be tackled later. It may be possible to build an Android project in Eclipse, however, if the ADT is set up properly.

For converting your Java mode sketches to Android mode, you should read through the Android Processing page on the Processing Wiki. Many things are similar, although there are subtle differences. In general, you shouldn't worry about it until you are able to build your sketches and encounter an error.