Using Processing on Ubuntu. Sound Library runs, makes no sound...

I'm running Processing 3.3.5 successfully in Ubuntu 16.04, and have installed the Sound Library. Unfortunately, none of the example scripts I've run make any sound. I know the sound card is working because lots of other programs on my machine make noises.

I used the terminal to install the packages recommended at https://github.com/processing/processing-sound using the standard sudo apt-get install prompts.

I have not however installed the recomended 'openjdk-7-jdk'. When attempting to do so using the same prompts I got this string returned:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package openjdk-7-jdk is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'openjdk-7-jdk' has no installation candidate

I'm not sure this is the source of the issue or not. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• Can you install the minim library via the library manager in the Processing IDE and test it using the provided examples by the library?

I agree, the sound code should work... It does work on Win 10 x64 + P3.3.5 using Libraries>>Sound>SoundFile>Sample demo.

Kf

• Thanks, kfrajer! Interesting. I installed minim and ran the example loop. It works. Perhaps the Sound library just doesn't support Linux yet? I was trying to avoid minim because I once tried to use it for sounds in a Processing-based game I created, and found it buggy. Maybe it's been improved since then. Still, it bothers me that I could not get the new Sound library to work on my expensive new sound card.

-Ponhawk

• BTW, when I changed openjdk-7-jdk to openjdk-8-jdk, it installed! No change to Sound library, though.

-Ponhawk

• You could create a ticket in GitHub if there isn't one open already about this issue and they will address it ... eventually.

I have had only good experiences with minim. It is versatile and it has good features. Not that I have used it extensively as sound guru guys...

Kf

• Perhaps the Sound library just doesn't support Linux yet?

SoundLibrary works fine here on Mint18 using the example here

https://processing.org/reference/libraries/sound/SoundFile.html

(it had issues in the past, mostly because it linked to a methcla library that was too new.)