How to use video capture when developing in Eclipse

edited June 2017 in Library Questions

I want to develop a Java project using Eclipse that utilizes some Processing graphics elements and in particular video capture. The two Processing tutorials related to using video and using the Eclipse IDE are quite helpful but.. the problem appears to be how to import the video library into Eclipse. I've added the video library to my Processing 3.3 app and the simple example works correctly (and so do a number of other more complex codes using the Capture object and the Processing IDE). I've also successfully used Eclipse to write a number of codes that use the Processing .core jars (extend PApplet) and appear to have the Processing core correctly imported and the build paths set. I imported the .jar files from the added "video" libraries folder of the Processing,app as well as the ldylib files (based upon a recommendation in the Forum:

https://forum.processing.org/two/discussion/10034/#Comment_39007

Eclipse appears to recognize the presence of "processing.video.*" - see Eclipse "output" below but it doesn't recognize the presence of the Capture class in the library??

Suggestions from anyone who has used video capture (i.e. camera image capture on a Mac) would be appreciated.

`import processing.core.PApplet;
  import processing.video.*;

Capture video;

public class VideoTest1 extends PApplet {

public static void main(String[] args) {
      PApplet.main("VideoTest1");
}
public void settings(){
    size(500,500);
}

public void setup(){
    video = new Capture(this,320,240);
    video.start();
}

public void draw(){
    image(video, 0, 0);
}

} ` The error is associated with the Capture object.

Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 2.30.11 PM

Tagged:

Answers

• So far in the 10 days this question has been posted, there have been 23 reads but not a single comment/suggestion.

Is that because the question is unclear or that no one has ever tried this or ...?

Any ideas/comments might help!

• Ok, so I gave it a try.... You can find these instructions also in GitHub as the forum might shink the images: https://github.com/kfrajer/ProcessingVideoInEclipse

As a reference: https://processing.org/tutorials/eclipse/

I have Win10 64bit, P3.3.4 64bit and Eclipse Mars 2.0 This is what I did. Open the example video>>Capture>>BrightnessTracking

Run the sketch. It works for me. I get some warnings related to the GStreamer-CRITICAL... Notice you will get those warnings on the other side.

Now I did this: I exported the library and I didn't check the 64 bit part[STEP1.png]. This step will produce two folders. Check Export_BrightnessTracking_folderTree.txt

step1

This will create two folders,one for the 32 and another for the 64 bit version. In my machine, I tried running the 32 version and it didn't execute as I didn't get any video. On the other hand, the executable in the 64 but folder worked [!!!]. So I will be using these files in the rest of the steps.

Now open eclipse and create a new Java Project which I named briBriBri (For a better name) [STEP2]:

step2

In this new project, add a new class called BrightnessTracking [STEP3].No need to add main as it will be replaced in the next step.

step3

Now, go back to the 64 bit export folder and search for the BrightnessTracking.java file. Open it with a text editor (or Processing) and copy the entire content and paste it in this new generated class. Make sure you preserve the first line of the class, the o one that makes reference to the name of your project's package. In my case: package briBriBri;

[STEP4] shows all those red lines... let's fix that.

step4

[STEP5 and STEP6] Right click on your project and click on import, then on the dialog box click File System:

step5

step6

In [STEP7] search for the location of the exported files that you get from step1. I decided to use library>>video>capture>BrigghtnessTracking>>application.windows64>>lib for reasons I commented above. Notice there is also a folder called plugins inside the lib folder. step7

Then you are back on the previous dialog box Title Import and Importing: File System. It will populated with jar and dll files on the right box. [STEP8] Click select all: step8

Now, select all the jar files. Notice there is the video.jar file at the end of the list (It is not shown in the screen shot). Right click on the selection then select Build Path>> Add To Build Path [STEP9]

Step10 shows when I try running the code. Choose Java Applet and hit run.

step10

Notice I got a warning shown in STEP11.png: ""Selection does not contain an Applet". Dismiss it:

step11

Now you will get a bunch of warnings and the sketch should run. If it does not work, then go to Build >> Clean in the Eclipse's menu and try running again.

I attached an extra file showing the structure of the files and folders in the briBriBri project after i get everything running. The name of the file is Export_BrightnessTracking_folderTree.txt

I hope it works.

Kf

• Ok... so i tried these other instructions and it also worked taking less steps: http://www.oxfordmathcenter.com/drupal7/node/44

Notice that when adding the jar files, I only added the jar file and I did not include the DLL files or the plugins folder which contains more DLL files. It didn't at first, so i had to do a Project>>Clean and then run it and voila.

Kf