Draw3D for Google Cardboard

edited May 2017 in Share Your Work

YouTube demo. Draw3D was inspired by Google’s Tilt Brush app, which lets you paint in a 3D space. My goal was to create a simpler version that would let users design immersive virtual environments with just a smartphone and a Google Cardboard viewer. Draw3D allows you to “draw” in 3D by placing cubes of various sizes and colors.

I'm happy to answer any questions and would appreciate feedback!

Tagged:

Comments

• Interesting demo video!

Is the app or the code shared anywhere?

How is the depth on each voxel set -- is it by holding it as it gradually gets closer to you, then releasing when it has approached to the correct z depth? I'm not familiar with Google Tilt Brush.

• @jeremydouglass - thanks! No, the app/code isn't shared anywhere yet but I might release something over the summer.

The depth is random within a range, since there isn't a good way to assess depth with Cardboard (just the location you are looking at). It's actually the size that varies depending on the duration of the tap. It's not very similar to Tilt Brush (much less complicated) but I was hoping to bring a creation app to simpler headsets like Cardboard.

• @alayna

What triggers the placing of the objects? Are you using an external trigger like a mouse or keyboard event or are you using the provided magnet?

Would you be adding more features?

Kf

• @kfrajer, I'm using the button on the top of the Google Cardboard/the side button of the Gear VR, which is used to tap the screen.

I think I'll add more features, I'm not sure what yet. Potentially the ability to "walk/fly" through the drawing, adding shapes in addition to the cubes, and a way to export a video or a 3D image from your creation.

• Update: Code on Github if you'd like to check it out!

• Thank you!!!