Processing 3 Can't Running on Ubuntu 14.

Hello all. So i just downloaded processing-3.3-linux32 on my Ubuntu 14 32bit. I extract the file, click on processing file, my java loading, but then I got error message: " This script runs Processing, using the JRE in the Processing installation directory...." something about java 8. I already installed java 8. Some of app like TurtleArt that required java too can run on my ubuntu 14 32bit with no problem.

Im so confuse. Can someone help me?. Thanx.

Answers

• Processing comes with an embedded Java jre. The message is just telling you that.

Please post the EXACT error.

• @koogs Thats the thing. I dont know how to replace my current java with the one on Processing folder. Here's my java version on my ubuntu 14 32bit:

Screenshot from 2017-04-23 10:43:19

And here's error I got when I try to running processing:

Screenshot from 2017-04-23 10:37:26

Im not a tech savvy, so Im so confuse. Can you help me?. Thanx.

• Error at line 1 suggests it's complaining about the /bin/sh. Which is pretty serious because that's pretty fundamental.

What does

file /bin/sh

say?

The processing file is a shell script, maybe clicking on it isn't the right thing to do, maybe Ubuntu does something else when you click on it. Try running it from the command line.

The embedded Java should be fine.

• @koogs should I type file /bin/sh or processing-3.3 /bin/sh ?. Sorry for the stupid question.

• In a terminal cd into the directory where the processing file is, type ./processing

• edited April 2017

Link doesn't work for me. (Ok, that new second link does)

But, yes, the next stage, assuming processing works from the command line, would be creating a desktop icon you can click. (I'm using mint mate and have it as a menu item and in my dock)

• I extract my processing on my documents folder, and the type the cd command and still got the error like this:

Screenshot from 2017-04-23 11:37:45

Should I extract it on /opt folder?. It said Im not the owner :(. So frustrated right now.

• I also try this command and still got error.

Screenshot from 2017-04-23 11:53:46

• Answer ✓

In that first one you are trying to CD into /Documents, which won't exist (the initial / is wrong)

Neither will /home/documents (that's missing you username and documents should probable be capitalised)

I think what you need is:

cd
    cd Documents
    cd program 
    cd processing-3.3
    ./processing

The first line takes you to your home directory, the others move you to the right place one step at a time. (Hint: after typing cd and the space you can hit TAB twice and it'll list alternatives). The last line is the execution.

Unzipping into Documents is slightly wrong but we can work with it. (Documents might need to be documents with a small d everywhere I've typed it, depends on Ubuntu. You can work it out using the tab thing I mentioned or the ls command. In Linux documents and Documents can both exist and are not the same)

• (typing this stuff on my phone is really hard, it keeps 'correcting' me)

• I finally did it!. I successful extract the processing.tgz file to opt folder and run this command:

Screenshot from 2017-04-23 15:52:06

Tadaaa. Now i need to figure it out how to launch it from dock. I think Im gonna follow one of the link @GoToLoop gave, but kinda nervous how it result :)