Problem loading movie on Ubuntu

I recently installed Processing (both 2.2.1 and 3) on a MINIX Z83-4 running Lubuntu 16.10 only to learn that gstreamer/ffmpeg is not properly supported. The repository ppa:mc3man/gstffmpeg-keep does not work with 16.10, so I reinstalled with 16.04.2LTS and added the necessary plug-ins. Currently I am getting the "Could not load the movie file ...." on the examples included with the video library. Images and sound files seem to be loading fine. It looks like I have the good, bad, and ugly plug-ins installed.

I have not encountered this issue on my other platforms (Mint 18.1, RHEL 6.5, Mac OSX, or Windows).

If anyone has any experience with this, insight would be appreciated.

Answers

• what's your file called? where is it installed?

run the file command on it and paste the result.

• edited April 2017 Answer ✓

I am running

/opt/processing-2.2.1/modes/java/libraries/video/examples/Movie/Loop/Loop.pde

and its movie file is

/opt/processing-2.2.1/modes/java/libraries/video/examples/Movie/Loop/data/transit.mov

As mentioned above the example runs fine on three other platforms, so I assume this is an Ubuntu-specific issue.

EDIT: As a note, I have already followed the PPA suggestion here.

Second EDIT: I have just installed every package containing gstreamer in the name which is not debug, doc, etc, and have it working correctly now. I cannot say precisely which one was necessary as I was impatient, but with a bit of time, the packages could be added/removed to determine the minimal requirements. Some of the packages I installed were not mentioned in earlier threads, e.g. gstreamer0.10-x, gstreamer0.10-plugins-base, etc.

• ok, i can do it myself:

file transit.mov

transit.mov: ISO Media, Apple QuickTime movie

so it's a quicktime movie and you'll need the gstreamer "good" plugins.