Movie will not play in Raspbian Kernel 4.4

edited March 2017 in Raspberry PI

I'm really trying to use movie2serial to play a movie on the LED curtain I have created. This works great with Processing using my Windows 10 machine but I want to do it with a Raspberry PI for better portability.

What I have found is that the movie events never fire. I have gotten this small program to try to just simply play a video and it has the same issue.

import processing.video.*;

Movie myMov; 

void setup() { 
  size(1062, 600);
  background(0);
  myMov = new Movie(this, "C:/Users/finite/Desktop/videos/abstract-rainbow.mp4");
  myMov.play();
}

void draw() { 
  image(myMov, 0, 0, width, height);
} 

void movieEvent(Movie m) { 
  m.read();
} 

void exit(){
  noLoop();
  myMov = null;
  this.dispose();
  System.exit(0);
}

There are no errors shown but the draw and movieEvent never fire when I run it in debug mode. All I see is a black windows on the screen. I have tried .mp4 and .mov files with the same issue. I chmod 777 on these files and directories just to be sure it wasn't an access issue.

I am using a Raspberry PI 3 running Rasbian Kernel 4.4 with Processing 3.3 for Linux ARMv6hf

Any ideas would be awesome. It has been a while since I messed with Linux and this has me pulling my hair out especially since there are no errors to follow.

Thanks, ~Tim

Tagged:

Answers

• try the transit movie that's included in the samples. does that work?

• Try also the GL Video library. The main Video library uses an old version of GStreamer, and does not support hardware accelerated video decoding.