Is Processing a good example of 'event driven programming'?

edited February 2017 in General Discussion

Hi - I'm new to processing and this forum. Please could somebody confirm (or otherwise) that processing is a good example of event driven programming. I need to teach this concept to some FE students and would like to introduce them to Processing at some stage - Could this be an ideal time???? Many Thanks.

Answers

• Partially yes. I think most modern languages when dealing w/ user input goes w/ the event-driven approach.

• Processing is based on Java which readily supports event driven programming.

So Processing would be a good choice especially is the students are new to programming because it hides some of the complexities of the Java language.

• edited February 2017

Yeah, mousePressed ()

mouseReleased()

mouseClicked()

mouseWheel ()

keyPressed() etc etc ....

• edited February 2017

@chrisnewth -- following @Chrisir --

The Processing UI paradigm is event-driven, and many of its UI demo sketches are good examples of this. I would recommend looking through the reference page under the sections Input > Mouse and Input > Keyboard:

For example:

The mouseClicked() function is called after a mouse button has been pressed and then released.

Mouse and keyboard events only work when a program has draw(). Without draw(), the code is only run once and then stops listening for events.

This introduces the basics:

1. in Processing you define standard functions (such as mouseClicked()) to handle events
    2. the system listens for events and then calls those functions
    3. in event-driven programming listening and calling process that "drives" events is generally dependent on a "main loop" -- in the case of Processing, this loop is draw()