Development of p5.js Web Editor

First I would like to introduce myself a little :) I am a second year engineering student from BITS Pilani, India. I was introduced to the world of creative coding from Dan Shiffman's youtube channel and I have fallen in love with p5.js ever since. I would like to improve my skills and also give back to the awesome community by contributing to the development of p5.js web editor since the desktop version of the editor is now depreciated and it looks like p5.js web editor is currently the most active and most required project of the processing foundation related to p5.js (correct me if I'm wrong). I read the contribution guide at https://github.com/processing/p5.js-web-editor but it seems like it's for experienced contributors. Can anyone who is already contributing to the development of the p5.js web editor guide me as to how should I start with? Thanks a lot.

Answers

• I wasn't contributing to the web editor myself but I had a look at the repo. In essence the web editor is a fully fledge website with backend and database which means it needs more setup. If you are comfortable going through setting up a development environment (see "Development Installation" part of README.md) then you are pretty much ready to help, checkout the issues if you are not sure what to do. I would image there will be a lot of progress going forward since the Processing Fellowship has projects that directly involve developing the web editor.

However, if you are not ready to go so deep yet, you can help out with the other repos, p5.js or p5-sound.js often have beginner friendly issues and won't have very complicated setups.