Save As deletes your tabs?

edited December 2016 in Using Processing

I haven't used processing in a while, just started a new project; consisted of main tab and another tab with a class in it.

Something very unusual just happened.. I clicked Save As (without clicking save first (something I'll never do again)), and it proceeded to close my project and open a new one, with the new save as name, but my tab with the class I had been working on was gone.. Is this normal? I just lost an annoying amount of code :(

Tagged:

Answers

• I just saw that my tab (grid.pde) was saved in the new directory (or its a backup) as a tmp file with name grid.pde225540804267835125.tmp

• IDK, never happened to me.

• edited December 2016

I made a new tab since, and now when I click save as, the new tab is fine but the old one is turning to a strange .tmp file. Not really affecting me anymore, minor bug or just issue with dropbox.

• edited December 2016

If you ever lose some work again, Processing will compile your stuff to a folder in %appdata%\..\Local\Temp (on Windows). Everything will be in a .java file instead of the original .pde files and will be Java instead of Processing but will functionally be the same code.

• @nnenov

What OS and Processing version?

I tried Processing 3.0.1 and linux... no issues with **save as...*

Kf

• thank you all for your help, it looks like it was a one off glitch. My OS is Windows 7 64 bit, Processing version 3.23

• @GoToLoop is suggesting that a file syncing service such as DropBox, GoogleDrive, etc. might have caused the problem (IF you are editing sketches in a n area that a file sharing service actively syncs). Just be aware that if it was a one-off glitch and that was the cause then the glitch may happen again....

• Yes this makes sense, my sketches folder is on dropbox.