Super small UI texts on high DPI Windows devices

edited February 2017 in Using Processing

Hi everyone,

I am assuming that I am not the only one that uses Processing IDE on a high DPI Windows 10 devices (Surface Pro 4). The UI texts in the IDE are so small that they are really hard to read. It essentially makes it not usable on my Surface Pro. I tried to change the text size in the Windows setting. I normally set it to 200% and that setting works with most of the other apps. I increased that setting to 300% for Processing IDE, the UI texts are still really small.

I have attached a screen grab of the IDE and pasted below. Processing_IDE_Windows

Does anyone has a solution for this?

Thanks, unparadise

Answers

• edited December 2016

Have you tried increasing the editor font size? It's found under File- > preferences.

• @vrtxt Hi vrtxt , thank you for your suggestion. But I have tried to change the text sizes in the preferences. It only affects the text size in the editor and the console but not the UI texts un fortunately. : (

• Well, I guess they thought that those are not very important....

• Sounds like this might be a bug that needs to be reported. If you haven't already would you report the details to Processing Issues? If there is a workaround with an advanced setting they may advise you -- if not it can be fixed.

• @jeremydouglass Submitted a bug. Thanks Jeremy!

• edited February 2017 Answer ✓

Did you get a reply to your bug report?

If not, then this workaround worked for me (sort of):

One solution (or workaround) is to edit the preferences.txt file. To find it, open Processing and select File > Preferences. At the bottom of the window will be a link to preferences.txt. On a Windows machine, this will be located in Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Processing. Open preferences.txt in an editor. Close the Processing application (it's important you do this before changing preferences.txt). Now, find and modify the following lines:

editor.font.size=24

editor.window.height.default=1200

editor.window.height.min=1060

editor.window.width.default=1400

editor.window.width.min=800

These numbers are what look good on my screen (Microsoft Surface Book). You might need different numbers for your screen.

Save preferences.txt.

• Thanks, nsdesai. I will give it a try.

• @unparadise Make sure Processing is not running when you make these changes in case you don't know this detail.

Kf

• Hello to everyone!!

I have same problem. The solution from nsdesai did not work for me. I also think that it is an issue to be solved in the source code. Thanks anyway. Nevertheless I am working very well with the editor. Great environment, at least for what i need, is this Processing.

• Answer ✓

This seems fixed in the new version 3.3