4x4 Matrix Keypad in Processing ???

Hey, does anyone know if there's a way to use a 4x4 Matrix Keypad in processing???? Help would be much appreciated

Answers

• If the keypad is like an external keyboard, you should be able to run a simple sketch to test it.

Kf

String currentKey="";
    void setup(){
      size(200,200);
      textSize(40);
      fill(255);
    }
    void draw(){
      background(0);
      text(currentKey,width/2,height/2);
    }

void keyPressed(){
      currentKey=key;
    }

• Is that what you actually meant?

• edited November 2016

@kleal -- it depends on what kind of matrix keypad, and how it is connected.

As @kfrajer mentions, if this is a basic usb keypad that acts like a plugin keyboard, you don't have to do anything special. If you open a text file and press the buttons, does the keypad type "1 2 3" in the text file? Then Processing will treat it just like a keyboard -- just use keyPressed, key, and keyCode.

If it isn't that simple -- what kind of keypad is it, and how is it connected?

• @jeremydouglass What will happen if more than one keypad is connected to the computer?

• It is like having two mice connected to the computer... I guess it'll be the same for two keypads. That is why I ask to test it using a simple sketch.

Kf

• It is normal for computers to have multiple keyboards and mice connected. A laptop with an external keyboard and mouse plugged in has two keyboards and two mice. Try plugging three keyboards in to a computer and using all three. If they are all standard / HID it works just fine.

• Oh yes of course, I should have noticed as I use an external mouse on my laptop. Thanks!