using processing.sound: java VM failes to initialize

edited October 2016 in Library Questions

For a a few weeks now I have this problem: when I start my sketch with processing.sound in it in 50% of all starts I get the following error message in the console:

Could not run the sketch (Target VM failed to initialize). For more information, read revisions.txt and Help ? Troubleshooting.

The error does not occure if I do not use processing.sound.

I figured out meanwhile that processing.sound does not function with Asio drivers (used by most audio interfaces). So you have to use the onboard audio card which in my case is an Via HD Audio. But I need the Asio drivers for my audio interface for some stuff in MaxMSP and want to send one channel of the audio from Max to Processing. This I achieve by rerouting one channel from the audio interface by cabel to the input of my onboard audio. In the system settings of Windows for the audio input the Via onboard audio must be selected as standard.

This works basically reliable IF it runs and the error message does not occure what is the case in about 50% of the sketch starts. But why these error? And how to solve this? Because I need this functioning in 2 weeks help is very much appreciated.

System: Win 7, 64 bit Audio interface: Behringer FCA1616 with Asio drivers.

Answers

• use minim.

minim = new Minim(this); file = minim.loadFile("Game title.mp3"); file.play(); if (file.position()>31899) { file.pause(); file.rewind(); file.play(); } i got the same issue but this works

• thanks learned_dolphin! I need realtime input for my sketch. I think this should work with minim too. Have you experiences with this?