PS3 controller on Macbook does not show up in the Game Control Plus library

Hi guys!

I am trying to control an Arduino based rescue robot with a playstation 3 controller through processing, but somehow processing is not able to 'see' the ps3 controller. I did manage to link the controller to my laptop (2014 macbook pro with MacOs Sierra) via bluetooth. And also when I run Enjoy2 (program to map ps3 buttons), it does work perfectly. So there is no question whether the ps3 is connected and working.

But when I am running the example sketch ShowDevices.pde from the Game Control Plus library in Processing, the ps3 controller does not show up. I am using processing 3.1.2 btw. I have searched the whole internet for a solution, but as far as I know, nobody has tried to connect a ps3 controller to processing with the latest macOS. I am wondering if somebody knows how to solve this problem, or, if there is an other way to read and process the input from a ps3 controller with processing (wired or via bluetooth).

with kind regards, Bas

Answers

• This is a question for @quark , however some ideas:

Did you use Pcp_configurator to try to create a configuration file as per the homepage ? Did you try using Pcp_gamepad as per the second tutorial video at around 2:05 ?

• I don't have a Play Station 3 controller so I can't test it. On my iMac I did have to install a driver for my Xbox controller and this now appears in System Preferences. Perhaps you need to do the same for your controller.

• @jeremydouglass @quark , thanks for helping. As far as I know, a ps3 controller should work without installing additional drivers.

I did take a look at the second tutorial video and I noticed that non-controller devices, like wireless mouses etc., show up too when running the Ccp_ShowDevices sketch. This is not the case on my macbook, although I have connected 2 additional bluetooth devices. It looks like Processing is just not able to detect any bluetooth device..

@quark , which version of OSX are you running, also MacOS sierra?

With kind regards, Bas

• Osx 10.9.5

JInput is old tech and is unlikely to detect Bluetooth devices.

• turns out the application 'Logitech options' caused the problem. After I removed it, the playstation controller showed up when running the Showdevices pde.